The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 7
And it came to pass in the days of Ahaz the son of Jotham, the son of Uzziah, king of Judah, that Rezin the king of Syria, and Pekah the son of Remaliah, king of Israel, went up toward Jerusalem to war against it, but could not prevail against it.
- the days
- 2 Kings 16:1; 2 Chronicles 28:1-6
- 8:6; 2 Kings 15:37; Psalms 83:3-5
- but could
- 4-9; 8:9,10
And it was told the house of David, saying, Syria is confederate with Ephraim. And his heart was moved, and the heart of his people, as the trees of the wood are moved with the wind.
- the house
- 13; 6:13; 37:35; 2 Samuel 7:16; 1 Kings 11:32; 12:16; 13:2; Jeremiah 21:12
- is confederate with
- Heb. resteth on.
- 17; 11:13; 2 Chronicles 25:10; 28:12; Ezekiel 37:16-19; Hosea 12:1
- And his heart
- 8:12; 37:27; Leviticus 26:36,37; Numbers 14:1-3; Deuteronomy 28:65,66; 2 Kings 7:6,7; Psalms 11:1; 27:1,2; 112:7,8; Proverbs 28:1; Matthew 2:3
Then said the LORD unto Isaiah, Go forth now to meet Ahaz, thou, and Shearjashub thy son, at the end of the conduit of the upper pool in the highway of the fuller's field;
- Go forth
- Exodus 7:15; Jeremiah 19:2,3; 22:1
- that is, The remnant shall return.
- 6:13; 10:21; 55:7; Romans 9:27
- the end
- 36:2; 2 Kings 18:17; 20:20
- or, causeway.
And say unto him, Take heed, and be quiet; fear not, neither be fainthearted for the two tails of these smoking firebrands, for the fierce anger of Rezin with Syria, and of the son of Remaliah.
- Take heed
- 30:7,15; Exodus 14:13,14; 2 Chronicles 20:17; Lamentations 3:26
- fear not
- 8:11-14; 35:4; 41:14; 51:12,13; Matthew 10:28; 24:6
- neither be faint-hearted
- Heb. let not they heart be tender.
- Deuteronomy 20:3; 1 Samuel 17:32
- the two tails
- 8; 8:4; 2 Kings 15:29,30; Amos 4:11
Because Syria, Ephraim, and the son of Remaliah, have taken evil counsel against thee, saying,
- Psalms 2:2; 83:3,4; Nahum 1:11; Zechariah 1:15
Let us go up against Judah, and vex it, and let us make a breach therein for us, and set a king in the midst of it, even the son of Tabeal:
- or, waken. lit. disgust.
Thus saith the Lord GOD, It shall not stand, neither shall it come to pass.
- 8:10; 10:6-12; 37:29; 46:10,11; Psalms 2:4-6; 33:11; 76:10; Proverbs 21:30; Lamentations 3:37; Daniel 4:35; Acts 4:25-28
For the head of Syria is Damascus, and the head of Damascus is Rezin; and within threescore and five years shall Ephraim be broken, that it be not a people.
- For the head
- Dr. Jubb transposes the former part of ver. 9, and renders, "Though the head of Syria be Damascus; and the head of Damascus Retzin; and the head of Ephraim be Samaria; and the head of Samaria Remaliah's son; yet within threescore and five years Ephraim shall be broken, that he be no more a people." This renders the passage perfectly clear; and the prophecy received its full accomplishment when Esarhaddon carried away the remains of the ten tribes.
- 2 Samuel 8:6
- 8:4; 17:1-3; 2 Kings 17:5-23; Ezra 4:2
- that it be not a people
- Heb. from a people.
- Hosea 1:6-10
And the head of Ephraim is Samaria, and the head of Samaria is Remaliah's son. If ye will not believe, surely ye shall not be established.
- the head
- 1 Kings 16:24-29; 2 Kings 15:27
- If ye, etc
- or, ye not believe? it is because ye are not stable.
- 2 Chronicles 20:20; Acts 27:11,25; Romans 11:20; Hebrews 11:6; 1 John 5:10
Moreover the LORD spake again unto Ahaz, saying,
- Moreover, etc
- Heb. and the Lord added to speak.
- 1:5,13; 8:5; 10:20; Hosea 13:2; *marg:
Ask thee a sign of the LORD thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above.
- a sign
- 37:30; 38:7,8,22; Judges 6:36-40; 2 Kings 20:8-11; Jeremiah 19:1,10; 51:63,64; Matthew 12:38-40; 16:1-4
- ask it either in the depth
- or, make thy petition deep.
But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the LORD.
- I will not ask
- 2 Kings 16:15; 2 Chronicles 28:22
- Ezekiel 33:31
- Deuteronomy 6:16; Malachi 3:15; Acts 5:9; 1 Corinthians 10:9
And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also?
- O house
- 2; 2 Chronicles 21:7; Jeremiah 21:12; Luke 1:69
- Is it a small
- Genesis 30:15; Numbers 16:9,13; Ezekiel 16:20,47; 34:18
- to weary
- 2 Chronicles 36:15,16; Jeremiah 6:11
- will ye
- 1:24; 43:24; 63:10; 65:3-5; Amos 3:13; Malachi 2:17; Acts 7:51; Hebrews 3:10
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
- Genesis 3:15; Jeremiah 31:22; Matthew 1:23; Luke 1:35
- shall call
- or, thou, O virgin, shalt call.
- Genesis 4:1,2,25; 16:11; 29:32; 30:6,8; 1 Samuel 1:20; 4:21
- 8:8; 9:6; John 1:1,2,14; Romans 9:5; 1 Timothy 3:16
Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.
- Connecting this verse with the preceding and following, we may render with Dr. Jubb and Lowth, "Behold the virgin (häâlmah, as the word uniformly signifies, Ge 24:43. Ex 2:8. Ps 68:26. Pr 30:19. So 1:3; 6:8.) shall conceive and bear a son, and thou shalt call his name Immanuel; butter and honey shall he eat when he shall know to refuse the evil and choose the good. For," etc.
- 22; Matthew 3:4
- Psalms 51:5; Amos 5:15; Luke 1:35; 2:40,52; Romans 12:9; Philippians 1:9,10
For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.
- Deuteronomy 1:39; Jonah 4:11
- the land
- 8:4; 9:11; 17:1-3; 2 Kings 15:29,30; 16:9
The LORD shall bring upon thee, and upon thy people, and upon thy father's house, days that have not come, from the day that Ephraim departed from Judah; even the king of Assyria.
- bring upon
- 8:7,8; 10:5,6; 36:1-37; 2 Kings 18:1-19; 2 Chronicles 28:19-21; 32:1-33; 2 Chronicles 33:11; 36:6-20; Nehemiah 9:32
- the day
- 1 Kings 12:16-19; 2 Chronicles 10:16-19
And it shall come to pass in that day, that the LORD shall hiss for the fly that is in the uttermost part of the rivers of Egypt, and for the bee that is in the land of Assyria.
- 30:1,2; 31:1; Exodus 8:21,24; Deuteronomy 1:44; 7:20; Joshua 24:12; Psalms 118:12
- 17; 2 Kings 23:33,34
And they shall come, and shall rest all of them in the desolate valleys, and in the holes of the rocks, and upon all thorns, and upon all bushes.
- in the holes
- 2:19,21; 2 Chronicles 33:11; Jeremiah 16:16; Micah 7:17
- or, commendable trees.
In the same day shall the Lord shave with a razor that is hired, namely, by them beyond the river, by the king of Assyria, the head, and the hair of the feet: and it shall also consume the beard.
- 10:6; 2 Kings 16:7,8; 2 Chronicles 28:20,21; Jeremiah 27:6,7; Ezekiel 5:1-4; 29:18,20
- 1:5; 9:14-17; 24:2
And it shall come to pass in that day, that a man shall nourish a young cow, and two sheep;
- a man
- 25; 5:17; 17:2; 37:30; Jeremiah 39:10
And it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give he shall eat butter: for butter and honey shall every one eat that is left in the land.
- butter and honey
- 15; 2 Samuel 17:29; Matthew 3:4
- Heb. midst of the land.
And it shall come to pass in that day, that every place shall be, where there were a thousand vines at a thousand silverlings, it shall even be for briers and thorns.
- a thousand vines
- Song of Solomon 8:11,12; Matthew 21:33
- be for briers
- 5:6; 32:12-14; Jeremiah 4:26; Hebrews 6:8
With arrows and with bows shall men come thither; because all the land shall become briers and thorns.
- Genesis 27:3
And on all hills that shall be digged with the mattock, there shall not come thither the fear of briers and thorns: but it shall be for the sending forth of oxen, and for the treading of lesser cattle.
- but it
- 21,22; 13:20-22; 17:2; Zephaniah 2:6