The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 15
The burden of Moab. Because in the night Ar of Moab is laid waste, and brought to silence; because in the night Kir of Moab is laid waste, and brought to silence;
- This and the following chapter form one entire prophecy; which was most probably delivered, as Bp. Lowth supposes, soon after the foregoing, (ch. 14:28-32,) in the first year of Hezekiah, and accomplished in his fourth year when Shalmaneser invaded Israel.
- 13:1; 14:28
- 11:14; 25:10; Jeremiah 9:26; 48:1-47; Ezekiel 25:8-11; Amos 2:1-3; Zephaniah 2:8-11
- in the
- Exodus 12:29,30; 1 Thessalonians 5:1-3
- Numbers 21:28; Deuteronomy 2:9,18
- brought to silence
- or, cut off. Kir.
- 2 Kings 3:25
- Jeremiah 48:31,36
He is gone up to Bajith, and to Dibon, the high places, to weep: Moab shall howl over Nebo, and over Medeba: on all their heads shall be baldness, and every beard cut off.
- is gone
- 16:12; Joshua 13:17; Jeremiah 48:18,22,23
- 3; 14:31; 16:7; Jeremiah 48:31,39
- Numbers 32:3,38; Deuteronomy 34:1; Jeremiah 48:1
- Numbers 21:30; Joshua 13:16
- 3:24; 22:12; Leviticus 19:27,28; 21:5; Deuteronomy 14:1; Job 1:20; Jeremiah 7:29; 47:5; Jeremiah 48:1,37,38; Ezekiel 7:18
In their streets they shall gird themselves with sackcloth: on the tops of their houses, and in their streets, every one shall howl, weeping abundantly.
- their streets
- 2 Samuel 3:31; 2 Kings 6:30; Jonah 3:6-8; Matthew 11:21
- on the
- 2; 22:1; Deuteronomy 22:8; Jeremiah 19:13; 48:38,39
- weeping abundantly
- Heb. descending into weeping; or, coming down with weeping.
And Heshbon shall cry, and Elealeh: their voice shall be heard even unto Jahaz: therefore the armed soldiers of Moab shall cry out; his life shall be grievous unto him.
- 16:8,9; Numbers 32:3,4; Jeremiah 48:34
- Numbers 21:23; Deuteronomy 2:32; Joshua 13:18; Judges 11:20
- Genesis 27:46; Numbers 11:15; 1 Kings 19:4; Job 3:20-22; 7:15,16; Jeremiah 8:3; 20:18; Jonah 4:3,8; Revelation 9:6
My heart shall cry out for Moab; his fugitives shall flee unto Zoar, an heifer of three years old: for by the mounting up of Luhith with weeping shall they go it up; for in the way of Horonaim they shall raise up a cry of destruction.
- My heart
- 16:9-11; Jeremiah 8:18,19; 9:10,18,19; 13:17; 17:16; 48:31-36; Luke 19:41-44; Romans 9:1-3
- his fugitives, etc
- or, to the borders thereof, even as an heifer. Zoar.
- Genesis 13:10; 14:2; 19:22
- 16:14; Jeremiah 48:34
- the mounting
- Jeremiah 48:5,34
- 2 Samuel 15:23,30
- Heb. breaking.
- 22:5; Jeremiah 4:20
For the waters of Nimrim shall be desolate: for the hay is withered away, the grass faileth, there is no green thing.
- Numbers 32:3,36
- Joshua 13:27
- Heb. desolations. the grass.
- 16:9,10; Joel 1:10-12; Habakkuk 3:17,18; Revelation 8:7
Therefore the abundance they have gotten, and that which they have laid up, shall they carry away to the brook of the willows.
- the abundance
- 5:29; 10:6,14; Nahum 2:12,13
- to the
- Psalms 137:1,2
- brook of the willows
- or, valley of the Arabians.
For the cry is gone round about the borders of Moab; the howling thereof unto Eglaim, and the howling thereof unto Beerelim.
- the cry
- 2-5; Jeremiah 48:20-24,31-34
- Ezekiel 47:10
- En-eglaim Eglaim is called Agallim by Eusebius, who places it eight miles south from Ar or Areopolis
For the waters of Dimon shall be full of blood: for I will bring more upon Dimon, lions upon him that escapeth of Moab, and upon the remnant of the land.
- Some have Dibon; and Jerome says that the same town was called both Dibon and Dimon.
- Heb. additions.
- Leviticus 26:18,21,24,28; Jeremiah 48:43-45
- Leviticus 26:22; 2 Kings 17:25; Jeremiah 15:3; Amos 5:19
- Bp. Lowth, upon the authority of the LXX., renders, "upon the escaped of Moab, and Ariel, and the remnant of Admah."