The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 35
The word which came unto Jeremiah from the LORD in the days of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah, saying,
- A. M. 3397. B.C. 607. The word. This discourse was probably delivered in the fourth year of Jehoiakim's reign, when the king of Babylon made war against him
- in the
- 1:3; 22:13-19; 25:1; 26:1; 36:1,9,29; 46:2; 2 Kings 23:35; 24:1-6; 2 Chronicles 36:5-8; Daniel 1:1
Go unto the house of the Rechabites, and speak unto them, and bring them into the house of the LORD, into one of the chambers, and give them wine to drink.
- the house
- 8; 2 Kings 10:15,16; 1 Chronicles 2:55
- into one
- 4; 1 Kings 6:5,6,10; 1 Chronicles 9:26; 23:28; 2 Chronicles 3:9; 31:11; Ezra 8:29; Nehemiah 13:5,8,9; Ezekiel 40:7-13,16; 41:5-11; 42:4-13
And I brought them into the house of the LORD, into the chamber of the sons of Hanan, the son of Igdaliah, a man of God, which was by the chamber of the princes, which was above the chamber of Maaseiah the son of Shallum, the keeper of the door:
- into the chamber
- a man
- Deuteronomy 33:1; Joshua 14:6; 1 Samuel 2:27; 9:6-8; 1 Kings 12:22; 13:1,26; 17:18,24; 1 Kings 20:28; 2 Kings 1:9,11-13; 5:14,20; 6:10; 7:2,17; 8:2-8; 23:16,17; 2 Chronicles 8:14; 25:7-9; 1 Timothy 6:11; 2 Timothy 3:17
- the princes
- the keeper
- 52:24; 2 Kings 12:9; 25:18; 1 Chronicles 9:18,19,27; 2 Chronicles 8:14; Psalms 84:10
- Heb. threshold, or vessel.
- Ezekiel 43:8
And I set before the sons of the house of the Rechabites pots full of wine, and cups, and I said unto them, Drink ye wine.
- 2; Ecclesiastes 9:7; Amos 2:12; 2 Corinthians 2:9
But they said, We will drink no wine: for Jonadab the son of Rechab our father commanded us, saying, Ye shall drink no wine, neither ye, nor your sons for ever:
- 2 Kings 10:15; 1 Chronicles 2:55
- Ye shall
- Jonadab, a man of fervent zeal for the pure worship of God, and who lived about three hundred years before this time, (2 Ki 10:15, 16, etc.) had probably practised these rules himself; and having trained up his children to habits of abstemiousness, he enjoined them and their posterity to adhere to them. In these regulations he seems to have had no religious, but merely a prudential view, as is intimated in the reason annexed to them "that ye may live many days in the land where ye be strangers." And this would be the natural consequence of observing these rules; for their temperate mode of living would very much contribute to preserve health and prolong life; and they would avoid giving umbrage, or exciting the jealousy or envy of the Jews, who might have been provoked, by their engaging and succeeding in the principal business in which they themselves were engaged, agriculture and vine-dressing to expel them their country; by which they would have been deprived of the religious advantages they enjoyed. In 1 Ch 2:55, they are termed scribes, which intimates that they were engaged in some kind of literary employments.
- Leviticus 10:9; Numbers 6:2-5; Judges 13:7,14; Luke 1:15; 1 Corinthians 7:26-31
- 10; Genesis 25:27; Leviticus 23:42,43; Nehemiah 8:14-16; Hebrews 11:9-13; 1 Peter 2:11
- that ye
- Genesis 36:7; Exodus 20:12; 1 Chronicles 16:19; Psalms 105:12; Ephesians 6:2,3
Neither shall ye build house, nor sow seed, nor plant vineyard, nor have any: but all your days ye shall dwell in tents; that ye may live many days in the land where ye be strangers.
- 10; Genesis 25:27; Leviticus 23:42,43; Nehemiah 8:14-16; Ephesians 5:18; Hebrews 11:9-13; 1 Peter 2:11
Thus have we obeyed the voice of Jonadab the son of Rechab our father in all that he hath charged us, to drink no wine all our days, we, our wives, our sons, nor our daughters;
- Proverbs 1:8,9; 4:1,2,10; 6:20; 13:1; Colossians 3:20
Nor to build houses for us to dwell in: neither have we vineyard, nor field, nor seed:
- 7; Numbers 16:14; 2 Kings 5:26; Psalms 37:16; 1 Timothy 6:6
But it came to pass, when Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon came up into the land, that we said, Come, and let us go to Jerusalem for fear of the army of the Chaldeans, and for fear of the army of the Syrians: so we dwell at Jerusalem.
- 2 Kings 24:2; Daniel 1:1,2
- 4:5-7; 8:14; Mark 13:14; Luke 21:20,21
Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Go and tell the men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, Will ye not receive instruction to hearken to my words? saith the LORD.
- 5:3; 6:8-10; 9:12; 32:33; Psalms 32:8,9; Proverbs 8:10; 19:20; Isaiah 28:9-12; Isaiah 42:23; Hebrews 12:25
The words of Jonadab the son of Rechab, that he commanded his sons not to drink wine, are performed; for unto this day they drink none, but obey their father's commandment: notwithstanding I have spoken unto you, rising early and speaking; but ye hearkened not unto me.
- 7:13,25; 11:7; 25:3,4; 26:5; 29:19; 32:33; 2 Chronicles 36:15,16; Proverbs 1:20-33
- but ye
- 7:24,26; Nehemiah 9:26,30; Isaiah 30:9; 50:2
I have sent also unto you all my servants the prophets, rising up early and sending them, saying, Return ye now every man from his evil way, and amend your doings, and go not after other gods to serve them, and ye shall dwell in the land which I have given to you and to your fathers: but ye have not inclined your ear, nor hearkened unto me.
- I have
- Luke 10:16; 1 Thessalonians 4:8
- 3:14; 4:14; 7:3-5; 17:20-23; 18:11; 25:5; 26:13; 44:4,5; Isaiah 1:16-19; Ezekiel 18:30-32; Hosea 14:1-4; Zechariah 1:3,4; Acts 26:20
- ye shall dwell
- 7:5-7; 17:24,25; 22:4; 25:5,6; Deuteronomy 30:20
- ye have
- Luke 13:34,35
Because the sons of Jonadab the son of Rechab have performed the commandment of their father, which he commanded them; but this people hath not hearkened unto me:
- 14; Isaiah 1:3; Malachi 1:6; Matthew 11:28-30; Luke 15:11-13,28-30
Therefore thus saith the LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will bring upon Judah and upon all the inhabitants of Jerusalem all the evil that I have pronounced against them: because I have spoken unto them, but they have not heard; and I have called unto them, but they have not answered.
- God having, by the conduct of the Rechabites, convicted the Jews of ingratitude and rebellion, He now proceeds to pass sentence against them.
- 11:8; 15:3,4; 19:7-13; 21:4-10; Genesis 6:17; Leviticus 26:14-46; Deuteronomy 28:15-68; Deuteronomy 29:19-28; 31:20,21; 32:16-42; Joshua 23:15,16; Micah 3:12
- 7:13,26,27; 26:5; 32:33; Proverbs 1:24-31; 13:13; 16:2; Isaiah 50:2; 65:12; Isaiah 66:4; Luke 13:34,35; Romans 10:21
And Jeremiah said unto the house of the Rechabites, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Because ye have obeyed the commandment of Jonadab your father, and kept all his precepts, and done according unto all that he hath commanded you:
- Exodus 20:12; Deuteronomy 5:16; Ephesians 6:1-3
Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Jonadab the son of Rechab shall not want a man to stand before me for ever.
- Jonadab, etc
- Heb. There shall not a man be cut off from Jonadab the son of Rechab to stand, etc.
- 33:17; 1 Chronicles 2:55
- 15:19; 33:17,18; Psalms 5:5; Luke 21:36; Jude 1:24