The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 26
In the beginning of the reign of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah came this word from the LORD, saying,
- A. M. 3394. B.C. 610
- 1:3; 25:1; 27:1; 35:1; 36:1; 2 Kings 23:34-36; 2 Chronicles 36:4,5
Thus saith the LORD; Stand in the court of the LORD'S house, and speak unto all the cities of Judah, which come to worship in the LORD'S house, all the words that I command thee to speak unto them; diminish not a word:
- 7:2; 19:14; 23:28; 36:10; 2 Chronicles 24:20,21; Luke 19:47,48; 20:1; 21:37,38; John 8:2; 18:20; Acts 5:20,21,25,42
- This was the great outer court, where the people assembled for the purpose of religious worship on ordinary occasions, when they brought no sacrifices; but when they offered a sacrifice, they were to bring it into the inner court, or that of the priests.
- all the words
- 1:17; 42:4; Isaiah 58:1,2; Ezekiel 3:10,17-21; Matthew 28:20; Acts 20:20,27
- Deuteronomy 4:2; 12:32; Revelation 22:19
If so be they will hearken, and turn every man from his evil way, that I may repent me of the evil, which I purpose to do unto them because of the evil of their doings.
- 18:7-10; 36:3; Isaiah 1:16-19; Ezekiel 18:27-30; Jonah 3:8-10; 4:2
- that I
- See on ch
- 18:7-10; 1 Kings 21:27,29
And thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith the LORD; If ye will not hearken to me, to walk in my law, which I have set before you,
- Leviticus 26:14-46; Deuteronomy 28:15-68; 29:18-28; 31:16-18,20; 32:15-25; Joshua 23:15,16; 1 Kings 9:6; 2 Chronicles 7:19,20; Nehemiah 9:26-30; Isaiah 1:20; 42:23-25
- 44:10; Deuteronomy 4:8,44; 11:32; Hebrews 6:18
To hearken to the words of my servants the prophets, whom I sent unto you, both rising up early, and sending them, but ye have not hearkened;
- 7:13,25; 11:7; 2 Kings 9:7; 17:13,23; 24:2; Ezra 9:11; Ezekiel 38:17; Daniel 9:6-10; Amos 3:7; Zechariah 1:6; Revelation 10:7; 11:18
- See on ch.
Then will I make this house like Shiloh, and will make this city a curse to all the nations of the earth.
- will I
- See on ch.
- 7:12-14; 1 Samuel 4:10-12,19-22; Psalms 78:60-64
- a curse
- 24:9; 25:18; 29:22; 42:18; 44:8-12,22; 2 Kings 22:19; Isaiah 43:28; Isaiah 65:15; Daniel 9:11; Malachi 4:6
So the priests and the prophets and all the people heard Jeremiah speaking these words in the house of the LORD.
- 5:31; 23:11-15; Ezekiel 22:25,26; Micah 3:11; Zephaniah 3:4; Matthew 21:15; Acts 4:1-6; 5:17
Now it came to pass, when Jeremiah had made an end of speaking all that the LORD had commanded him to speak unto all the people, that the priests and the prophets and all the people took him, saying, Thou shalt surely die.
- the priests
- 2:30; 11:19-21; 12:5,6; 18:18; 20:1,2,8-11; 2 Chronicles 36:16; Lamentations 4:13,14; Matthew 21:35-39; 22:6; 23:31-35; 26:3,4,59-66; Acts 5:33; 7:52; Revelation 18:24
Why hast thou prophesied in the name of the LORD, saying, This house shall be like Shiloh, and this city shall be desolate without an inhabitant? And all the people were gathered against Jeremiah in the house of the LORD.
- 2 Chronicles 25:16; Isaiah 29:21; 30:9-11; Amos 5:10; 7:10-13; Micah 2:6; Matthew 21:23; Acts 4:17-19; 5:28; 6:14
- And all
- Matthew 27:20; Mark 15:11; Acts 13:50; 16:19-22; 17:5-8; 19:24-32; 21:30; Acts 22:22
- in the
- John 8:20,59
When the princes of Judah heard these things, then they came up from the king's house unto the house of the LORD, and sat down in the entry of the new gate of the LORD'S house.
- the princes
- 16,17,24; 34:19; 36:12-19,25; 37:14-16; 38:4-6; Ezekiel 22:6,27
- in the entry
- or, at the door. the new.
- 36:10; 2 Kings 15:35
Then spake the priests and the prophets unto the princes and to all the people, saying, This man is worthy to die; for he hath prophesied against this city, as ye have heard with your ears.
- Deuteronomy 18:20; Matthew 26:66; Luke 23:1-5; John 18:30; 19:7; Acts 22:22; 24:4-9; Acts 25:2-13
- This man is worthy to die
- Heb. The judgment of death is for this man. for he.
- 38:4; Acts 6:11-14
Then spake Jeremiah unto all the princes and to all the people, saying, The LORD sent me to prophesy against this house and against this city all the words that ye have heard.
- The Lord
- 2,15; 1:17,18; 19:1-3; Amos 7:15-17; Acts 4:19; 5:29
Therefore now amend your ways and your doings, and obey the voice of the LORD your God; and the LORD will repent him of the evil that he hath pronounced against you.
- See on ch.
- 7:3-7; 35:15; 36:3; 38:20; Isaiah 1:19; 55:7; Ezekiel 33:11; Hosea 14:1-4; Hebrews 5:9
- 3,19; 18:8; 42:10; Exodus 32:14; Deuteronomy 32:36; Judges 2:18; Joel 2:14; Jonah 3:9; 4:2
As for me, behold, I am in your hand: do with me as seemeth good and meet unto you.
- As for
- 38:5; Joshua 9:25; Daniel 3:16
- as seemeth good and meet unto you
- Heb. as it is good and right in your eyes.
- 2 Samuel 15:26
But know ye for certain, that if ye put me to death, ye shall surely bring innocent blood upon yourselves, and upon this city, and upon the inhabitants thereof: for of a truth the LORD hath sent me unto you to speak all these words in your ears.
- ye shall
- 2:30,34; 7:6; 22:3,17; Genesis 4:10; 42:22; Numbers 35:33; Deuteronomy 19:10; 2 Kings 24:4; Proverbs 6:17; Matthew 23:30-36; 26:4,25; Acts 7:60; 1 Thessalonians 2:15,16; Revelation 16:6
- for of
- See on ver.
Then said the princes and all the people unto the priests and to the prophets; This man is not worthy to die: for he hath spoken to us in the name of the LORD our God.
- 36:19,25; 38:7-13; Esther 4:14; Proverbs 16:7; Matthew 27:23,24,54; Luke 23:14,15,41,47; Acts 5:34-39; 23:9,29; 25:25; 26:31,32
Then rose up certain of the elders of the land, and spake to all the assembly of the people, saying,
- Then rose
- Micah 1:1; Acts 5:34
Micah the Morasthite prophesied in the days of Hezekiah king of Judah, and spake to all the people of Judah, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Zion shall be plowed like a field, and Jerusalem shall become heaps, and the mountain of the house as the high places of a forest.
- Micah 1:1
- Josephus relates that Titus, after he had taken Jerusalem, ordered his soldiers to demolish it, except three of the largest and most beautiful towers, and the western wall of the city; all the rest was levelled, so that they who had never before seen it, could scarcely persuade themselves it had been inhabited. The Jewish writers also inform us, that Turnus Rufus, whom Titus had left in command, ploughed up the very foundations of the temple. When Dr. Richardson visited this sacred spot in 1818, he found one part of Mount Zion supporting a crop of barley, and another undergoing the labour of the plough: the soil turned up consisted of stone and lime mixed with earth, such as is usually met with in foundations of ruined cities. It is nearly a mile in circumference; is highest on the west side, and, towards the east, falls down in broad terraces on the upper part of the mountain as it slopes down toward the brook Kidron.
- Micah 3:12
- See on ch.
- 9:11; 51:37; 2 Kings 19:25; Nehemiah 4:2; Psalms 79:1
- the mountain
- 17:3; Isaiah 2:2,3; Micah 4:1; Zechariah 8:3
Did Hezekiah king of Judah and all Judah put him at all to death? did he not fear the LORD, and besought the LORD, and the LORD repented him of the evil which he had pronounced against them? Thus might we procure great evil against our souls.
- did he
- 2 Chronicles 29:6-11; 32:20,25,26; 34:21; Isaiah 37:1,4,15-20
- besought the Lord
- Heb. besought the face of the Lord. and the Lord. See on ver.
- 3; Exodus 32:14; 2 Samuel 24:16
- 15; Numbers 16:38; 35:33,34; Isaiah 26:21; Lamentations 4:13,14; Matthew 23:35; Matthew 27:24,25; Luke 3:19,20; Acts 5:39; Revelation 6:9,10; 16:6; 18:20-24
And there was also a man that prophesied in the name of the LORD, Urijah the son of Shemaiah of Kirjathjearim, who prophesied against this city and against this land according to all the words of Jeremiah:
- Joshua 15:60; 18:14; 1 Samuel 7:2
And when Jehoiakim the king, with all his mighty men, and all the princes, heard his words, the king sought to put him to death: but when Urijah heard it, he was afraid, and fled, and went into Egypt;
- the king sought
- 36:26; 2 Chronicles 16:10; Psalms 119:109; Matthew 14:5; Mark 6:19
- he was
- 1 Kings 19:1-3; Proverbs 29:25; Matthew 10:23,28,39; 16:25,26
And Jehoiakim the king sent men into Egypt, namely, Elnathan the son of Achbor, and certain men with him into Egypt.
- Psalms 12:8; Proverbs 29:12
- 2 Kings 22:12,14
And they fetched forth Urijah out of Egypt, and brought him unto Jehoiakim the king; who slew him with the sword, and cast his dead body into the graves of the common people.
- 15; 2:30; Ezekiel 19:6; Matthew 14:10; 23:34,35; Acts 12:1-3; 1 Thessalonians 2:15; Revelation 11:7
- and cast
- 22:19; 36:30
- common people
- Heb. sons of the people.
Nevertheless the hand of Ahikam the son of Shaphan was with Jeremiah, that they should not give him into the hand of the people to put him to death.
- 39:14; 40:5-7; 2 Kings 22:12-14; 25:22; 2 Chronicles 34:20
- 1:18,19; 15:15-21; 1 Kings 18:4; Isaiah 37:32,33; Acts 23:10,20-35; Acts 25:3,4; 27:43; Revelation 12:16