The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 27
In the beginning of the reign of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah came this word unto Jeremiah from the LORD, saying,
- A. M. 3409. B.C. 595. the beginning
- 3,12,19,20; 26:1; 28:1
Thus saith the LORD to me; Make thee bonds and yokes, and put them upon thy neck,
- saith the Lord
- or, hath the Lord said.
- Amos 7:1,4
- 12; 28:10-14
- 13:1-11; 18:2-10; 19:1-11; 28:10; 1 Kings 11:30,31; Isaiah 20:2-4; Ezekiel 4:1-5; 12:1-28; 24:3-12
And send them to the king of Edom, and to the king of Moab, and to the king of the Ammonites, and to the king of Tyrus, and to the king of Zidon, by the hand of the messengers which come to Jerusalem unto Zedekiah king of Judah;
- 25:19-26; 47:1-49; Ezekiel 25:1-28; 29:18; Amos 1:9-15; 2:1-3
- the messengers
- 2 Chronicles 36:13; Ezekiel 17:15-21
And command them to say unto their masters, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Thus shall ye say unto your masters;
- to say unto their masters, Thus
- or, concerning their masters, saying, Thus. the Lord.
- 10:10,16; 25:27; 51:19; Exodus 5:1
I have made the earth, the man and the beast that are upon the ground, by my great power and by my outstretched arm, and have given it unto whom it seemed meet unto me.
- 10:11,12; 32:17; 51:15; Genesis 9:6; Exodus 20:11; Job 26:5-14; 38:4-41; Psalms 102:25; 136:5-9; 146:5,6; 148:2-5; Isaiah 40:21-26; 42:5; 44:24; Isaiah 45:12; 48:13; 51:13; John 1:1-3; Acts 14:15; 17:24; Colossians 1:16; Hebrews 1:2,10,11; Revelation 4:11
- and have
- Genesis 1:29,30; 9:2,3; Deuteronomy 2:7,9,19; 5:16; 32:8; Joshua 1:2,3; Ezra 1:2; Psalms 115:15,16; 135:10-12; Deuteronomy 2:21; 4:17,25,32,35
And now have I given all these lands into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, my servant; and the beasts of the field have I given him also to serve him.
- I given all
- 28:14; Daniel 2:37,38; 5:18,19
- 24:1; 25:9; 43:10; 51:20-23; Isaiah 44:28; Ezekiel 29:18-20
- 28:14; Psalms 50:10-12; Daniel 2:38
And all nations shall serve him, and his son, and his son's son, until the very time of his land come: and then many nations and great kings shall serve themselves of him.
- 25:11-14; 50:9,10; 52:31; 2 Chronicles 36:20,21
- 25:12; 50:27; Psalms 37:13; 137:8,9; Isaiah 13:1,8-22; 14:22,23; 21:9; Isaiah 47:1-5; Daniel 5:25-31; Habakkuk 2:7; Zechariah 2:8,9; Revelation 13:5-10; 14:8,15-20; 16:19; Revelation 17:16,17; 18:2-8
- 25:14; 50:1-51; Isaiah 14:4-6
And it shall come to pass, that the nation and kingdom which will not serve the same Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, and that will not put their neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon, that nation will I punish, saith the LORD, with the sword, and with the famine, and with the pestilence, until I have consumed them by his hand.
- And it
- There is a peculiar grandeur, as well as propriety, in this method of predicting Nebuchadnezzar's rapid successes. The God of Israel, declaring himself to be the Lord of armies, and the Creator and Owner of the whole earth, with all its inhabitants and productions, and claiming full sovereignty over his creatures, avows his determination, for reasons he does not deign to assign, to give all the countries of the world to the king of Babylon, whom he calls his servant, because he would accomplish an important part of his most righteous designs. They, therefore, who would escape the most dreadful judgments, must submit to the God of Israel, by submitting to Nebuchadnezzar; they must hearken to the prophets of Israel, and not to their own diviners; and they must observe, that Nebuchadnezzar, his son, and his grandson, would whatever opposition should be made, possess the full dominion of all these countries, till the appointed time was expired; and then, these haughty conquerors would in their turn become the prey of other powerful conquerors; all of which was most exactly fulfilled.
- that nation
- 25:28,29; 38:17-19; 40:9; 42:10-18; 52:3-6; Ezekiel 17:19-21
- with the sword
- 24:10; Ezekiel 14:21
Therefore hearken not ye to your prophets, nor to your diviners, nor to your dreamers, nor to your enchanters, nor to your sorcerers, which speak unto you, saying, Ye shall not serve the king of Babylon:
- 14-16; 14:14; 23:16,25,32; 29:8; Exodus 7:11; Deuteronomy 18:10-12,14; Joshua 13:22; *marg:; Isaiah 8:19; Micah 3:7; Zechariah 10:2; Malachi 3:5; Acts 8:11; Revelation 9:21; 18:23; 21:8; Revelation 22:15
- Heb. dreams.
- Isaiah 47:12-14
For <I>they prophesy a lie unto you, to remove you far from your land; and that I should drive you out, and ye should perish.
- 14; 28:16; Ezekiel 14:9-11
- 32:31; Lamentations 2:14
But the nations that bring their neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon, and serve him, those will I let remain still in their own land, saith the LORD; and they shall till it, and dwell therein.
- to bring
- 21:9; 38:2; 40:9-12; 42:10,11
I spake also to Zedekiah king of Judah according to all these words, saying, Bring your necks under the yoke of the king of Babylon, and serve him and his people, and live.
- 3; 28:1; 38:17; 2 Chronicles 36:11-13; Proverbs 1:33; Ezekiel 17:11-21
Why will ye die, thou and thy people, by the sword, by the famine, and by the pestilence, as the LORD hath spoken against the nation that will not serve the king of Babylon?
- 38:20; Proverbs 8:36; Ezekiel 18:24,31; 33:11
- by the sword
- 8; 24:9; 38:2; Ezekiel 14:21
Therefore hearken not unto the words of the prophets that speak unto you, saying, Ye shall not serve the king of Babylon: for they prophesy a lie unto you.
- 9; Isaiah 28:10-13; 2 Corinthians 11:13-15; Philippians 3:2
- 10; 14:14; 23:21,25; 28:15; 29:8,9; 1 Kings 22:22,23; Ezekiel 13:6-15,22,23; Micah 2:11; Matthew 7:15; 2 Peter 2:1-3; 1 John 4:1
For I have not sent them, saith the LORD, yet they prophesy a lie in my name; that I might drive you out, and that ye might perish, ye, and the prophets that prophesy unto you.
- a lie
- Heb. in a lie, or lyingly. that I.
- 10; 2 Chronicles 18:17-22; 25:16; Ezekiel 14:3-10; Matthew 24:24; 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12; 2 Timothy 2:17-19; 4:3,4; Revelation 13:7,8,12-14
- 6:13-15; 8:10-12; 14:15,16; 20:6; 23:15; 28:16,17; 29:22,23,31,32; Micah 3:5-7; Matthew 15:14; Revelation 19:20
Also I spake to the priests and to all this people, saying, Thus saith the LORD; Hearken not to the words of your prophets that prophesy unto you, saying, Behold, the vessels of the LORD'S house shall now shortly be brought again from Babylon: for they prophesy a lie unto you.
- 28:3; 2 Kings 24:13; 2 Chronicles 36:7-10; Daniel 1:2
- 10,14; Isaiah 9:15
Hearken not unto them; serve the king of Babylon, and live: wherefore should this city be laid waste?
- 13; 38:17,23
But if they be prophets, and if the word of the LORD be with them, let them now make intercession to the LORD of hosts, that the vessels which are left in the house of the LORD, and in the house of the king of Judah, and at Jerusalem, go not to Babylon.
- 1 Kings 18:24,26
- let them
- 7:16; 15:1; 18:20; 42:2; Genesis 18:24-33; 20:17; 1 Samuel 7:8; 12:19,23; 2 Chronicles 32:20; Job 42:8,9; Ezekiel 14:14,18-20; 22:30; Malachi 1:9; James 5:16-18
For thus saith the LORD of hosts concerning the pillars, and concerning the sea, and concerning the bases, and concerning the residue of the vessels that remain in this city,
- the pillars
- 52:17-23; 1 Kings 7:15-22; 2 Kings 25:13,17; 2 Chronicles 4:2-16
Which Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon took not, when he carried away captive Jeconiah the son of Jehoiakim king of Judah from Jerusalem to Babylon, and all the nobles of Judah and Jerusalem;
- 24:1; 2 Kings 24:14-16
- 2 Chronicles 36:10,18
They shall be carried to Babylon, and there shall they be until the day that I visit them, saith the LORD; then will I bring them up, and restore them to this place.
- 29:10; 34:5; 52:17-21; 2 Kings 24:13-17; 2 Chronicles 36:17,18; Daniel 5:1-4,23
- 25:11,12; 29:10; 32:5; 2 Chronicles 36:21-23; Ezra 1:1-5; Proverbs 21:30; Daniel 9:2
- Ezra 1:7,11; 5:13-15; 7:9,19