The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 3
After this opened Job his mouth, and cursed his day.
- 1:22; 2:10
- 35:16; Psalms 39:2,3; 106:33
- 3; 1:11; 2:5,9; Jeremiah 20:14,15
- his day
- That is, the day of his birth.
And Job spake, and said,
- Heb. answered.
- Judges 18:14
Let the day perish wherein I was born, and the night in which it was said, There is a man child conceived.
- Let the day
- That is, as we say, "Let it be blotted out of the calendar."
- 10:18,19; Jeremiah 15:10; 20:14,15
Let that day be darkness; let not God regard it from above, neither let the light shine upon it.
- Exodus 10:22,23; Joel 2:2; Amos 5:18; Matthew 27:45; Acts 27:20; Revelation 16:10
- God regard
- Deuteronomy 11:12
Let darkness and the shadow of death stain it; let a cloud dwell upon it; let the blackness of the day terrify it.
- the shadow
- 10:21,22; 16:16; 24:17; 28:3; 38:17; Psalms 23:4; 44:19; 107:10,14; Isaiah 9:2; Jeremiah 2:6; 13:16; Amos 5:8; Matthew 4:16; Luke 1:79
- stain it
- or, challenge it. let a cloud.
- Deuteronomy 4:11; Ezekiel 30:3; 34:12; Joel 2:2; Hebrews 12:18
- let the blackness
- or, let them terrify it, as those who have a bitter day.
- Jeremiah 4:28; Amos 8:10
As for that night, let darkness seize upon it; let it not be joined unto the days of the year, let it not come into the number of the months.
- let it not be joined unto the days
- or, let it not rejoice among the days.
Lo, let that night be solitary, let no joyful voice come therein.
- Isaiah 13:20-22; 24:8; Jeremiah 7:34; Revelation 18:22,23
Let them curse it that curse the day, who are ready to raise up their mourning.
- who are ready
- 2 Chronicles 35:25; Jeremiah 9:17,18; Amos 5:16; Matthew 11:17; Mark 5:38
- their mourning
- or, a leviathan.
Let the stars of the twilight thereof be dark; let it look for light, but have none; neither let it see the dawning of the day:
- look for light
- 30:26; Jeremiah 8:15; 13:16
- the dawning of the day
- Heb. the eye-lids of the morning.
Because it shut not up the doors of my mother's womb, nor hid sorrow from mine eyes.
- it shut not
- 10:18,19; Genesis 20:18; 29:31; 1 Samuel 1:5; Ecclesiastes 6:3-5; Jeremiah 20:17
- 6:2,3; 10:1; 23:2; Ecclesiastes 11:10
Why died I not from the womb? why did I not give up the ghost when I came out of the belly?
- died I
- Psalms 58:8; Jeremiah 15:10; Hosea 9:14
- when I came
- Psalms 22:9,10; 71:6; 139:13-16; Isaiah 46:3
Why did the knees prevent me? or why the breasts that I should suck?
- the knees
- Genesis 30:3; 50:23; Isaiah 66:12; Ezekiel 16:4,5
For now should I have lain still and been quiet, I should have slept: then had I been at rest,
- then had I been at rest
- Ecclesiastes 6:3-5; 9:10
With kings and counsellors of the earth, which built desolate places for themselves;
- 30:23; 1 Kings 2:10; 11:43; Psalms 49:6-10,14; 89:48; Ecclesiastes 8:8; Isaiah 14:10-16; Ezekiel 27:18-32
- which built
- Who erect splendid mausoleums, funeral monuments, etc. to keep their names from perishing, while their bodies are turned to corruption.
- 15:28; Isaiah 5:8; Ezekiel 26:20
Or with princes that had gold, who filled their houses with silver:
- who filled their houses
- That is, "the covetous, whom nothing can satisfy," as the poet Saady has observed, "but the dust that fills his mouth, when laid in the grave."
- 22:25; 27:16; Numbers 22:18; 1 Kings 10:27; Isaiah 2:7; Zephaniah 1:18; Zechariah 9:3
Or as an hidden untimely birth I had not been; as infants which never saw light.
- an hidden
- Psalms 58:8; 1 Corinthians 15:8
There the wicked cease from troubling; and there the weary be at rest.
- the wicked
- 14:13; Psalms 55:5-8; Matthew 10:28; Luke 12:4; 2 Thessalonians 1:6,7; 2 Peter 2:8
- the weary
- Heb. the wearied in strength. at rest.
- Isaiah 57:1,2; Hebrews 4:9,11; Revelation 14:13
There the prisoners rest together; they hear not the voice of the oppressor.
- 39:7; Exodus 5:6-8,15-19; Judges 4:3; Isaiah 14:3,4
The small and great are there; and the servant is free from his master.
- The small
- 30:23; Psalms 49:2,6-10; Ecclesiastes 8:8; 12:5,7; Luke 16:22,23; Hebrews 9:27
- and the servant
- Psalms 49:14-20
Wherefore is light given to him that is in misery, and life unto the bitter in soul;
- 6:9; 7:15,16; Jeremiah 20:18
- 16; 33:28,30
- the bitter
- 7:15,16; 1 Samuel 1:10; 2 Kings 4:27; Proverbs 31:6
Which long for death, but it cometh not; and dig for it more than for hid treasures;
- Heb. wait.
- Numbers 11:15; 1 Kings 19:4; Jonah 4:3,8; Revelation 9:6
- Proverbs 2:4
Why is light given to a man whose way is hid, and whom God hath hedged in?
- whose way
- Isaiah 40:27
- hedged in
- 12:14; 19:8; Psalms 31:8; Lamentations 3:7,9; Hosea 2:6
For my sighing cometh before I eat, and my roarings are poured out like the waters.
- my sighing
- 7:19; Psalms 80:5; 102:9
- I eat
- Heb. my meat. my roarings.
- Psalms 22:1,2; 32:3; 38:8; Isaiah 59:11; Lamentations 3:8
For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.
- the thing, etc
- Heb. I feared a fear and it came upon me. that which.
- 1:5; 31:23
I was not in safety, neither had I rest, neither was I quiet; yet trouble came.
- yet trouble came
- 27:9; Psalms 143:11