The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 1
Now the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying,
- 2 Kings 14:25; Matthew 12:39; 16:4; Luke 11:29,30,32
Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me.
- 3:2; 4:11; Genesis 10:11; 2 Kings 19:36; Nahum 1:1; 2:1-3; Zephaniah 2:13-15
- 3:2; Isaiah 58:1; Jeremiah 1:7-10; Ezekiel 2:7; 3:5-9; Micah 3:8; Matthew 10:18
- Genesis 18:20,21; Ezra 9:6; James 5:4; Revelation 18:5
But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.
- to flee
- 4:2; Exodus 4:13,14; 1 Kings 19:3,9; Jeremiah 20:7-9; Ezekiel 3:14; Luke 9:62; Acts 15:38; 26:19; 1 Corinthians 9:16
- Genesis 3:8; 4:16; Job 1:12; 2:7; Psalms 139:7-12; 2 Thessalonians 1:9
- Joshua 19:46; 2 Chronicles 2:16; Acts 9:36
- As Jonah embarked at Joppa, a seaport on the Mediterranean, it was probably either Tarsus in Cilicia, or rather Tartessus in Spain, to which he intended to flee. When we reflect how such a message would be received in the streets of London at this day, we shall not wonder at the prophet's reluctance to announce the destruction of the proud and idolatrous Nineveh.
- Isaiah 2:16; 23:1,6,10; 60:9; Ezekiel 27:12
But the LORD sent out a great wind into the sea, and there was a mighty tempest in the sea, so that the ship was like to be broken.
- the Lord
- Exodus 10:13,19; 14:21; 15:10; Numbers 11:31; Psalms 107:24-31; 135:7; Amos 4:13; Matthew 8:24-27; Acts 27:13-20
- sent out
- Heb. cast forth. like. Heb. thought.
Then the mariners were afraid, and cried every man unto his god, and cast forth the wares that were in the ship into the sea, to lighten it of them. But Jonah was gone down into the sides of the ship; and he lay, and was fast asleep.
- 6,14,16; 1 Kings 18:26; Isaiah 44:17-20; 45:20; Jeremiah 2:28; Hosea 7:14
- and cast
- Job 2:4; Acts 27:18,19,38; Philippians 3:7,8
- the sides
- 1 Samuel 24:3
- and was
- Judges 16:19; Matthew 25:5; 26:40,41,43,45; Luke 22:45,46
So the shipmaster came to him, and said unto him, What meanest thou, O sleeper? arise, call upon thy God, if so be that God will think upon us, that we perish not.
- Isaiah 3:15; Ezekiel 18:2; Acts 21:13; Romans 13:11; Ephesians 5:14
- Psalms 78:34; 107:6,12,13,18-20,28,29; Jeremiah 2:27,28; Mark 4:37-41
- 3:9; 2 Samuel 12:22; Esther 4:16; Joel 2:11; Amos 5:15
And they said every one to his fellow, Come, and let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this evil is upon us. So they cast lots, and the lot fell upon Jonah.
- Judges 7:13,14; Isaiah 41:6,7
- and let
- Joshua 7:14-18; Judges 20:9,10; 1 Samuel 10:20,21; 14:41,42; Esther 3:7; Psalms 22:18; Proverbs 16:33; Matthew 27:35; Acts 1:23-26; 13:19
- Joshua 7:10,13; 22:16-20; 1 Samuel 14:38,39; Job 10:2
- and the
- Numbers 32:23; Joshua 7:18; 1 Corinthians 4:5
Then said they unto him, Tell us, we pray thee, for whose cause this evil is upon us; What is thine occupation? and whence comest thou? what is thy country? and of what people art thou?
- Joshua 7:19; 1 Samuel 14:43; James 5:16
- What is thine
- Genesis 47:3; 1 Samuel 30:13
And he said unto them, I am an Hebrew; and I fear the LORD, the God of heaven, which hath made the sea and the dry land.
- I am
- Genesis 14:13; 39:14; Philippians 3:5
- and I
- 2 Kings 17:25,28,32-35; Job 1:9; Hosea 3:5; Acts 27:23; Revelation 15:4
- the Lord
- or, Jehovah. the God.
- Ezra 1:2; 5:11; 7:12,13; Nehemiah 1:4; 2:4; Psalms 136:26; Daniel 2:18,19,44; Revelation 11:13; 16:11
- Nehemiah 9:6; Psalms 95:5,6; 146:5,6; Acts 14:15; 17:23-25
Then were the men exceedingly afraid, and said unto him, Why hast thou done this? For the men knew that he fled from the presence of the LORD, because he had told them.
- John 19:8
- exceedingly afraid
- Heb. afraid, with great fear.
- Daniel 5:6-9
- Joshua 7:25; 2 Samuel 24:3
- he fled
- 3; Job 27:22
Then said they unto him, What shall we do unto thee, that the sea may be calm unto us? for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous.
- 1 Samuel 6:2,3; 2 Samuel 21:1-6; 24:11-13; Micah 6:6,7
- calm unto us
- Heb. silent from us. wrought, and was tempestuous. or, grew more and more tempestuous. Heb. went and was, etc.
And he said unto them, Take me up, and cast me forth into the sea; so shall the sea be calm unto you: for I know that for my sake this great tempest is upon you.
- 2 Samuel 24:17; John 11:50
- Joshua 7:12,20,21; 1 Chronicles 21:17; Ecclesiastes 9:18; Acts 27:24
Nevertheless the men rowed hard to bring it to the land; but they could not: for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous against them.
- Nevertheless the
- There was great humanity and tender feeling in these men. They were probably affected deeply with the candid confession, the disinterested, submissive conduct of the disobedient prophet, and were unwilling to cast him into the deep, until they found that every effort to save themselves was in vain.
- Heb. digged. but.
- Job 34:29; Proverbs 21:30
Wherefore they cried unto the LORD, and said, We beseech thee, O LORD, we beseech thee, let us not perish for this man's life, and lay not upon us innocent blood: for thou, O LORD, hast done as it pleased thee.
- 5,16; Psalms 107:28; Isaiah 26:16
- Genesis 9:6; Deuteronomy 21:8; Acts 28:4
- Psalms 115:3; 135:6; Daniel 4:34,35; Matthew 11:26; Ephesians 1:9,11
So they took up Jonah, and cast him forth into the sea: and the sea ceased from her raging.
- Joshua 7:24-26; 2 Samuel 21:8,9
- and the
- Psalms 89:9; 93:3,4; 107:29; Matthew 8:26; Luke 8:24
- Heb. stood.
Then the men feared the LORD exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice unto the LORD, and made vows.
- 10; Isaiah 26:9; Daniel 4:34-37; 6:26; Mark 4:31; Acts 5:11
- offered, etc
- Heb. sacrificed a sacrifice unto the Lord, and vowed vows.
- Genesis 8:20; Judges 13:16; 2 Kings 5:17; Psalms 107:22; Isaiah 60:5-7
- Genesis 28:20; Psalms 50:14; 66:13-16; 116:14; Ecclesiastes 5:4
Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
- the Lord
- 4:6; Genesis 1:21; Psalms 104:25,26; Habakkuk 3:2
- Matthew 12:40; 16:4; Luke 11:30
- Heb. bowels.