The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 1
Now after the death of Moses the servant of the LORD it came to pass, that the LORD spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying,
- the death
- 12:6; Deuteronomy 33:1; 34:5; Acts 13:36,37; Romans 1:1; Titus 1:1; James 1:1; Revelation 1:18
- Exodus 17:9-13; Numbers 13:8,16; Deuteronomy 1:38; 31:3,23; 34:9; Acts 7:45
- Moses' minister.
- Exodus 24:13; Numbers 11:28; 1 Kings 19:16; 2 Kings 3:11; 4:27-29; 5:25-27; Matthew 20:26,27; Luke 16:10
Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, even to the children of Israel.
- 1; Isaiah 42:1; Hebrews 3:5,6; 7:23,24
- Numbers 27:16-21; Deuteronomy 3:28; 31:7
Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses.
- 14:9; Deuteronomy 11:24; Titus 1:2
From the wilderness and this Lebanon even unto the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and unto the great sea toward the going down of the sun, shall be your coast.
- From the wilderness
- That is, their utmost limits should be from the Desert of Arabia Petrĉa on the south, to Lebanon on the north; and from the Euphrates on the east, to the Great Sea, or the Mediterranean, on the west. The Israelites did not possess the full extent of this grant till the time of David.
- Genesis 15:18-21; Exodus 23:31; Numbers 34:2-18; Deuteronomy 1:7; 3:25; 11:24; 1 Chronicles 5:9; 1 Chronicles 18:3
There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
- There shall
- Deuteronomy 7:24; 20:4; Psalms 46:11; Romans 8:31,37
- as I was
- 9,17; 3:7; 6:27; Exodus 3:12; Deuteronomy 31:8,23; Matthew 28:20; Acts 18:9,10; 2 Timothy 4:17
- I will not
- Deuteronomy 31:6-8; Isaiah 41:10-14; 43:2-5; Hebrews 13:5
Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them.
- Be strong
- 7,9; 1 Samuel 4:9; 1 Kings 2:2; 1 Chronicles 22:13; 28:10; 2 Chronicles 32:7,8; Psalms 27:14; Isaiah 35:3,4; Daniel 10:19; Haggai 2:4; Zechariah 8:9; 1 Corinthians 16:13; Ephesians 6:10; 2 Timothy 2:1
- unto this people, etc
- or, thou shalt cause this people to inherit the land. divide.
- Numbers 34:17-29
- which I sware
- Genesis 26:3
Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.
- which Moses
- 1; 11:15; Numbers 27:23; Deuteronomy 31:7
- turn not
- Deuteronomy 5:32; 12:32; 28:14; Proverbs 4:27; 8:20
- Deuteronomy 29:9; 1 Kings 2:3; 1 Chronicles 22:13
- or, do wisely.
- 8; *marg:
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
- Deuteronomy 6:6-9; 11:18,19; 17:18,19; 30:14; 31:11; Psalms 37:30,31; 40:10; Psalms 119:42,43; Isaiah 59:21; Matthew 12:35; Ephesians 4:29
- thou shalt
- Psalms 1:2,3; 19:14; 119:11,15,97,99; Proverbs 2:1-5; 3:1; Colossians 3:16; 1 Timothy 4:14-16
- Deuteronomy 5:29,32,33; 6:1-3; Matthew 7:21,24; 28:20; Luke 11:28; John 13:17; 14:21; James 1:22-25; Revelation 22:14
- have good success
- or, do wisely.
- 7; *marg:
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
- Deuteronomy 31:7,8,28; Judges 6:14; 2 Samuel 13:28; Acts 4:19
- Be strong
- be not
- Genesis 28:15; Deuteronomy 20:1; Psalms 27:1,2; Jeremiah 1:7,8
- for the Lord
- Psalms 46:7; Isaiah 43:1,5
Then Joshua commanded the officers of the people, saying,
- the officers of the people
- The shoterim, or officers, were different from the shophetim, who were the judges among the people. The shoterim have been supposed to be subordinate officers, whose business it was to see the decisions of the shophetim carried into effect. Calmet conjectures, that the shoterim here may have been the heralds of the army.
Pass through the host, and command the people, saying, Prepare you victuals; for within three days ye shall pass over this Jordan, to go in to possess the land, which the LORD your God giveth you to possess it.
- three days
- 3:2; Exodus 19:11; 2 Kings 20:5; Hosea 6:2
- ye shall
- Deuteronomy 9:1; 11:31
Remember the word which Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, saying, The LORD your God hath given you rest, and hath given you this land.
- 22:1-4; Numbers 32:20-28; Deuteronomy 3:18
Your wives, your little ones, and your cattle, shall remain in the land which Moses gave you on this side Jordan; but ye shall pass before your brethren armed, all the mighty men of valour, and help them;
- Heb. marshalled by five.
- Exodus 13:18
- the mighty
- Deuteronomy 20:8; Revelation 17:4
Until the LORD have given your brethren rest, as he hath given you, and they also have possessed the land which the LORD your God giveth them: then ye shall return unto the land of your possession, and enjoy it, which Moses the LORD'S servant gave you on this side Jordan toward the sunrising.
- Numbers 32:17-22; Galatians 5:13; 6:2; Philippians 1:21-26; 2:4
- then ye shall
- 22:4-9; 1 Corinthians 12:26; 13:5
And they answered Joshua, saying, All that thou commandest us we will do, and whithersoever thou sendest us, we will go.
- Numbers 32:25; Deuteronomy 5:27; Romans 13:1-5; Titus 3:1; 1 Peter 2:13-15
According as we hearkened unto Moses in all things, so will we hearken unto thee: only the LORD thy God be with thee, as he was with Moses.
- only the Lord
- 5; 1 Samuel 20:13; 1 Kings 1:37; 1 Chronicles 28:20; Psalms 20:1,4,9; 118:25,26; Matthew 21:9; 1 Timothy 2:1,2
Whosoever he be that doth rebel against thy commandment, and will not hearken unto thy words in all that thou commandest him, he shall be put to death: only be strong and of a good courage.
- that doth rebel
- Deuteronomy 17:12; 1 Samuel 11:12; Psalms 2:1-6; Luke 19:27; Hebrews 10:28,29; 12:25
- he shall be
- Romans 13:1-5
- only be
- 6,7,9; Ezra 10:4; 1 Corinthians 16:13; Ephesians 6:10