The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 16
And the lot of the children of Joseph fell from Jordan by Jericho, unto the water of Jericho on the east, to the wilderness that goeth up from Jericho throughout mount Bethel,
- Heb. went forth. the water.
- 8:15; 15:61; 18:12; 2 Kings 2:19-21
And goeth out from Bethel to Luz, and passeth along unto the borders of Archi to Ataroth,
- 18:13; Genesis 28:19; Judges 1:22-26
- 2 Samuel 16:16; 1 Chronicles 27:33
And goeth down westward to the coast of Japhleti, unto the coast of Bethhoron the nether, and to Gezer: and the goings out thereof are at the sea.
- Eusebius says that the two Beth-horons were twelve miles from Jerusalem, towards Nicopolis or Emmaus: of which the one, called upper Beth-horon, from its situation, was built (rebuilt) by Solomon, and the other, called nether Beth-horon, was given to the Levites. Josephus places Beth-oron about 100 furlongs from Jerusalem. Dr. Clarke mentions an Arab village called Bethoor, about twelve miles from Jerusalem, a small distance from Rama, which he supposes, from its situation on a hill, to be Beth-horon the upper.
- 18:13; 1 Kings 9:15-17; 1 Chronicles 7:24,28; 2 Chronicles 8:5
- Probably the [gazara] of Eusebius, four miles from Nicopolis.
- Numbers 34:6
So the children of Joseph, Manasseh and Ephraim, took their inheritance.
And the border of the children of Ephraim according to their families was thus: even the border of their inheritance on the east side was Atarothaddar, unto Bethhoron the upper;
- 2; 18:13
And the border went out toward the sea to Michmethah on the north side; and the border went about eastward unto Taanathshiloh, and passed by it on the east to Janohah;
- Placed by Eusebius ten miles of Neapolis or Shechem.
- Eusebius calls it [Iano] in Acrabatene, twelve miles east from Neapolis.
And it went down from Janohah to Ataroth, and to Naarath, and came to Jericho, and went out at Jordan.
- 1 Chronicles 7:28
- 3:16; 6:1,26; Numbers 33:48
The border went out from Tappuah westward unto the river Kanah; and the goings out thereof were at the sea. This is the inheritance of the tribe of the children of Ephraim by their families.
- 12:17; 17:8
- river Kanah
- 17:9; 19:28
- the sea
- 3-6; Numbers 34:6
And the separate cities for the children of Ephraim were among the inheritance of the children of Manasseh, all the cities with their villages.
And they drave not out the Canaanites that dwelt in Gezer: but the Canaanites dwell among the Ephraimites unto this day, and serve under tribute.
- they drave
- 15:63; Judges 1:29; 1 Kings 9:16,21
- the Canaanites dwell
- Numbers 33:52-55; Deuteronomy 7:1,2