The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 12
Now these are the kings of the land, which the children of Israel smote, and possessed their land on the other side Jordan toward the rising of the sun, from the river Arnon unto mount Hermon, and all the plain on the east:
- on the other
- 1:15; 22:4
- from the
- Numbers 21:13,24; Deuteronomy 2:24; Judges 11:18; Isaiah 16:2
- unto the mount
- 11:3,17; Deuteronomy 3:8,9; 4:48; Psalms 133:3
Sihon king of the Amorites, who dwelt in Heshbon, and ruled from Aroer, which is upon the bank of the river Arnon, and from the middle of the river, and from half Gilead, even unto the river Jabbok, which is the border of the children of Ammon;
- Numbers 21:23-30; Deuteronomy 2:24-37; 3:6-17; Nehemiah 9:22; Psalms 135:11; 136:19,20
- Genesis 32:22; Judges 11:13,22
And from the plain to the sea of Chinneroth on the east, and unto the sea of the plain, even the salt sea on the east, the way to Bethjeshimoth; and from the south, under Ashdothpisgah:
- sea of Chinneroth
- This inland sea, or rather lake, which drives its several names, the Lake of Tiberias, Sea of Galilee, Lake of Gennesareth, from the territory which forms its western and south-western border, is computed to be between seventeen and eighteen miles in length, and from five to six in breadth. The waters of this lake, which are sweet and agreeable, lie in a deep basin, surrounded with lofty hills, except at the north and south, where it is a plain country or level. There is a current through the whole lake even to the shore; and the Jordan through it is discernible by the smoothness of the surface in that part. Its appearance from the north- western extremity is said by Mr. Buckingham to be exceedingly grand; but the barren aspect of the mountains on each side, and the total absence of wood, give a cast of dullness to the picture.
- 11:2; Deuteronomy 3:17; John 6:1
- Sea of Tiberias
- the sea.
- 3:16; 15:2,5; Genesis 14:3; 19:25; Deuteronomy 3:17
- the south
- or, Teman. Ashdoth-pisgah. or, the springs of Pisgah, or, the hill.
- Numbers 21:20; Deuteronomy 3:17; *marg:; Deuteronomy 4:49
And the coast of Og king of Bashan, which was of the remnant of the giants, that dwelt at Ashtaroth and at Edrei,
- the coast
- Numbers 21:33-35; Deuteronomy 3:1-7,10
- the remnant
- 13:12; Deuteronomy 3:11
- Deuteronomy 1:4
And reigned in mount Hermon, and in Salcah, and in all Bashan, unto the border of the Geshurites and the Maachathites, and half Gilead, the border of Sihon king of Heshbon.
- 1; 11:3; Deuteronomy 3:8,9; 4:47,48
- 13:11; Deuteronomy 3:10
- unto the
- Deuteronomy 3:14; 1 Samuel 27:8; 2 Samuel 3:3; 13:37; 15:8; 23:34; 2 Kings 25:23
Them did Moses the servant of the LORD and the children of Israel smite: and Moses the servant of the LORD gave it for a possession unto the Reubenites, and the Gadites, and the half tribe of Manasseh.
- did Moses
- Numbers 21:24-35
- gave it
- 13:8-32; Luke 22:29-42; Deuteronomy 3:11-17
And these are the kings of the country which Joshua and the children of Israel smote on this side Jordan on the west, from Baalgad in the valley of Lebanon even unto the mount Halak, that goeth up to Seir; which Joshua gave unto the tribes of Israel for a possession according to their divisions;
- on this side
- 1; 3:17; 9:1
- 11:17; 13:5
- Genesis 14:6; 32:3; 36:8,20,30; Deuteronomy 2:1,4
- Joshua gave
- 1:3,4; 11:23; 13:1-19; Deuteronomy 11:23,24
In the mountains, and in the valleys, and in the plains, and in the springs, and in the wilderness, and in the south country; the Hittites, the Amorites, and the Canaanites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites:
- the mountains
- 10:40; 11:16
- the Hittites
- 9:1; Genesis 15:18-21; Exodus 3:8; 23:23,28-31; Deuteronomy 7:19:1
The king of Jericho, one; the king of Ai, which is beside Bethel, one;
The king of Jerusalem, one; the king of Hebron, one;
The king of Jarmuth, one; the king of Lachish, one;
- Placed by Eusebius and Jerome four miles from Eleutheropolis, near Eshtaol; but, in Jermus, which is probably the same, they state it to be ten miles from Eleutheropolis, towards Jerusalem; which is supposed to be nearer the truth.
- Eusebius and Jerome say it was a village in their time, seven miles south from Eleutheropolis.
The king of Eglon, one; the king of Gezer, one;
- 10:3,23; 15:39
- Gezer appears to have situated in the tribe of Ephraim, near Beth-horon, between it and the sea. Eusebius and Jerome place it four miles north of Nicopolis or Emmaus.
The king of Debir, one; the king of Geder, one;
The king of Hormah, one; the king of Arad, one;
- Numbers 14:45; 21:3
- Eusebius places this city in the neighbourhood of Kadesh, four miles from Malathis, and twenty from Hebron.
- Numbers 21:1
The king of Libnah, one; the king of Adullam, one;
- Eusebius and Jerome inform us, that Libnah was a town or village in their time, lying in the district of Eleutheropolis.
- 1 Samuel 22:1
The king of Makkedah, one; the king of Bethel, one;
- 8:17; Genesis 12:8; 28:19; Judges 1:22
The king of Tappuah, one; the king of Hepher, one;
- 19:13; 1 Kings 4:10
The king of Aphek, one; the king of Lasharon, one;
- 19:30; 1 Samuel 4:1
- or, Sharon.
- Isaiah 33:9
The king of Madon, one; the king of Hazor, one;
- 11:1,10,11; Judges 4:2
The king of Shimronmeron, one; the king of Achshaph, one;
- 11:1; 19:15
- 11:1; 19:25
The king of Taanach, one; the king of Megiddo, one;
- 17:11; Judges 5:19
- 1 Kings 4:12; 2 Kings 23:29,30
The king of Kedesh, one; the king of Jokneam of Carmel, one;
- 15:23; 19:37; 21:32
- 15:55; 1 Samuel 25:2; Isaiah 35:2
The king of Dor in the coast of Dor, one; the king of the nations of Gilgal, one;
- 11:2; 17:11
- the nations
- Genesis 14:1,2; Isaiah 9:1
- 4:19; 5:9,10
The king of Tirzah, one: all the kings thirty and one.
- 1 Kings 16:23; 2 Kings 15:14