The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 19
And the second lot came forth to Simeon, even for the tribe of the children of Simeon according to their families: and their inheritance was within the inheritance of the children of Judah.
- second lot
- within the
- 9; Genesis 49:5-7
And they had in their inheritance Beersheba, or Sheba, and Moladah,
- Beer-sheba, Sheba, and Moladah
- 15:28; Genesis 21:31; 1 Chronicles 4:28-30
- Bilhah, Ezem, Tolad, Bethuel
- Nehemiah 11:26-30
And Hazarshual, and Balah, and Azem,
And Eltolad, and Bethul, and Hormah,
- Judges 1:17
And Ziklag, and Bethmarcaboth, and Hazarsusah,
- 15:31; 1 Samuel 27:6; 30:1
- 1 Chronicles 4:31
And Bethlebaoth, and Sharuhen; thirteen cities and their villages:
Ain, Remmon, and Ether, and Ashan; four cities and their villages:
- Numbers 33:19,20; 1 Chronicles 4:32
And all the villages that were round about these cities to Baalathbeer, Ramath of the south. This is the inheritance of the tribe of the children of Simeon according to their families.
- 1 Chronicles 4:33
- 1 Samuel 30:27
Out of the portion of the children of Judah was the inheritance of the children of Simeon: for the part of the children of Judah was too much for them: therefore the children of Simeon had their inheritance within the inheritance of them.
- too much
- Exodus 16:18; 2 Corinthians 8:14,15
And the third lot came up for the children of Zebulun according to their families: and the border of their inheritance was unto Sarid:
- Genesis 49:13; Deuteronomy 33:18,19
And their border went up toward the sea, and Maralah, and reached to Dabbasheth, and reached to the river that is before Jokneam;
- the river
- The river Kishon, which empties itself into the Mediterranean near mount Carmel, in the vicinity of which Jokneam was situated.
- 12:22; 1 Kings 4:12; 1 Chronicles 6:68
And turned from Sarid eastward toward the sunrising unto the border of Chislothtabor, and then goeth out to Daberath, and goeth up to Japhia,
- Called Chasalus by Eusebius and Jerome, and placed at the foot of mount Tabor, eight miles east of Diocęsarea.
- 22; Judges 4:6,12; Psalms 89:12
- Josephus, who calls this town Dabaritta, or Darabitta, places it in the plain of Jezreel, or Esdraelon, on the confines of Samaria and Galilee. It is probably the Dabira which Jerome place towards amount Tabor, in the district of Diocęsarea; and the Debora or Daboura, mentioned by travellers as a village at the foot of mount Tabor.
- 1 Chronicles 6:72
- Probably Japha, a city of Galilee, near Jotapata, mentioned by Josephus.
And from thence passeth on along on the east to Gittahhepher, to Ittahkazin, and goeth out to Remmonmethoar to Neah;
- Placed by Jerome two miles from Sephoris, or Diocęsarea, towards Tiberias.
- 2 Kings 14:25
- methoar. or, which is drawn.
And Kattath, and Nahallal, and Shimron, and Idalah, and Bethlehem: twelve cities with their villages.
- Kattath, etc
- 21:34,35; Judges 1:30
- 11:1; 12:20
- Ruth 1:19; 2 Samuel 23:15; 2 Chronicles 11:6
And their border was toward Jezreel, and Chesulloth, and Shunem,
- 1 Kings 21:1,15,16; 2 Kings 8:29; 9:15,30; Hosea 1:4,5
- Probably the same as Chisloth-tabor.
- 1 Samuel 28:4; 1 Kings 1:3; 2:17,21; 2 Kings 4:8,12
And Hapharaim, and Shion, and Anaharath,
- A town called Aiphraim, in the time of Eusebius, six miles north of Legio.
- A town called Seon by Eusebius, at the foot of mount Tabor.
And Remeth, and Engannim, and Enhaddah, and Bethpazzez;
And the coast reacheth to Tabor, and Shahazimah, and Bethshemesh; and the outgoings of their border were at Jordan: sixteen cities with their villages.
- 12; Judges 4:6; 1 Chronicles 6:77; Jeremiah 46:18
- 38; 21:16; 1 Samuel 6:9-19; 1 Kings 4:9; 2 Kings 14:11-13
And the fifth lot came out for the tribe of the children of Asher according to their families.
- Luke 2:26-38
And their border was Helkath, and Hali, and Beten, and Achshaph,
- 2 Samuel 2:16
- Probably the same as Bebeten or Batnai, mentioned by Eusebius, eight miles east from Ptolemais; and perhaps the Ecbatana which Pliny places not far from Ptolemais.
- 11:1; 12:20
And Alammelech, and Amad, and Misheal; and reacheth to Carmel westward, and to Shihorlibnath;
- Situated, according to Eusebius, near mount Carmel, on the sea coast.
- 21:30; 1 Chronicles 6:74
- 1 Samuel 15:12; 1 Kings 18:20,42; Song of Solomon 7:5; Isaiah 33:9; 35:2; 37:24; Jeremiah 46:18
And turneth toward the sunrising to Bethdagon, and reacheth to Zebulun, and to the valley of Jiphthahel toward the north side of Bethemek, and Neiel, and goeth out to Cabul on the left hand,
- 1 Samuel 5:2
- Situated on the sea coast, near Ptolemais.
- Supposed to be the same town which Josephus calls [Choboulo] and which he says was situated near the sea side, near Ptolemais.
- 1 Kings 9:13
And Hebron, and Rehob, and Hammon, and Kanah, even unto great Zidon;
- This seems a different Cana from that in Lower Galilee; and to be that which is placed in some maps east of Tyre, between Libanus and Antilibanus, and south of the river Cassimer, or Leitani.
- John 2:1,11; 4:46
- 11:8; Judges 1:31; Isaiah 23:2,4,12
And then the coast turneth to Ramah, and to the strong city Tyre; and the coast turneth to Hosah; and the outgoings thereof are at the sea from the coast to Achzib:
- Probably the Rama mentioned by Theodoret as a city of Syria; and placed in some maps between Sarepta and Sidon, eastward, near Lebanon.
- Heb. Tzor.
- 2 Samuel 5:11; Isaiah 23:1-18; Ezekiel 26:1-28
- Genesis 38:5; Judges 1:31; Micah 1:14
Ummah also, and Aphek, and Rehob: twenty and two cities with their villages.
- 12:18; 13:4; 1 Samuel 4:1; 1 Kings 20:30
- 28; 21:31; Numbers 13:11
This is the inheritance of the tribe of the children of Asher according to their families, these cities with their villages.
- Genesis 49:20; Deuteronomy 33:24,25
And their coast was from Heleph, from Allon to Zaanannim, and Adami, Nekeb, and Jabneel, unto Lakum; and the outgoings thereof were at Jordan:
- Judges 4:11
And then the coast turneth westward to Aznothtabor, and goeth out from thence to Hukkok, and reacheth to Zebulun on the south side, and reacheth to Asher on the west side, and to Judah upon Jordan toward the sunrising.
- Deuteronomy 33:23
- Apparently the same as Azanoth, which Eusebius places in the plain not far from Diocęsarea or Sephoris.
- As it is certain that the tribe of Naphtali did not border upon that of Judah, there being several tribes between, we should probably omit Judah, with the Septuagint; though it may have been a town so called.
And the fenced cities are Ziddim, Zer, and Hammath, Rakkath, and Chinnereth,
- Genesis 10:18; Numbers 13:21; 34:8; 34:8; 1 Kings 8:65
- 13:27; Mark 6:53
And Adamah, and Ramah, and Hazor,
- 11:1,20; 12:19
And Kedesh, and Edrei, and Enhazor,
- 12:22; 20:7
And Iron, and Migdalel, Horem, and Bethanath, and Bethshemesh; nineteen cities with their villages.
- Eusebius mentions a town of the name of [Batanaian] fifteen miles from Cęsarea. (Diocęsarea or Sephoris probably.)
And the coast of their inheritance was Zorah, and Eshtaol, and Irshemesh,
- Situated on the frontiers of Dan and Judah, tens miles north from Eleutheropolis, towards Nicoplis, according to Eusebius, not far from Caphar Sorek.
- Judges 13:2,25; 16:31; 18:2; 1 Chronicles 2:53; 2 Chronicles 11:10
- Supposed by some to be the same as Beth-shemesh in the tribe of Judah; but this latter city is evidently distinguished from it by being assigned by the tribe of Judah to the Levites. (ch. 21:16.) Ir-shemesh rendered [polis Sammaus] by the LXX., seems to be the same as Emmaus or Nicopolis, 22 miles south-east from Lydda, according to the Old Jerusalem Itinerary.
And Shaalabbin, and Ajalon, and Jethlah,
- Eusebius calls it [Salaba] and places it in Samaria: and Jerome calls it Salebi, (Eze 48,) and joins it to Ajalon and Emmaus.
- Judges 1:35
- Ajalon. This appears to be the Ajalon which Jerome places two miles from Nicopolis or Emmaus, in the road to Jerusalem.
- 10:12; 21:24; 1 Samuel 14:31
And Elon, and Thimnathah, and Ekron,
- Genesis 38:12; Judges 14:1,2
- Ekron. Ekron is placed by Eusebius between Ashdod and Jamnia, eastward; and probably the ruined village of Tookrair, mentioned by Dr. Richarson, situated on the top of a hill, and which he says seems to have been a place of considerable consequence, occupies its site.
- 15:45; 1 Samuel 5:10; Amos 1:8
And Eltekeh, and Gibbethon, and Baalath,
- 21:23; 1 Kings 15:27; 16:15
- 1 Kings 9:18
And Jehud, and Beneberak, and Gathrimmon,
And Mejarkon, and Rakkon, with the border before Japho.
- or, over against. Japho. or, Joppa.
- Jonah 1:3; Acts 9:36,43; 10:8
And the coast of the children of Dan went out too little for them: therefore the children of Dan went up to fight against Leshem, and took it, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and possessed it, and dwelt therein, and called Leshem, Dan, after the name of Dan their father.
- the coast
- Judges 1:34,35; 18:1-29
- called Leshem
- Judges 18:7,27,29
When they had made an end of dividing the land for inheritance by their coasts, the children of Israel gave an inheritance to Joshua the son of Nun among them:
- Ezekiel 45:7,8
According to the word of the LORD they gave him the city which he asked, even Timnathserah in mount Ephraim: and he built the city, and dwelt therein.
- 24:30; Judges 2:9
- 1 Chronicles 7:24
These are the inheritances, which Eleazar the priest, and Joshua the son of Nun, and the heads of the fathers of the tribes of the children of Israel, divided for an inheritance by lot in Shiloh before the LORD, at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. So they made an end of dividing the country.
- These are
- 14:1; Numbers 34:17-29; Psalms 47:3,4; Matthew 20:23; 25:34; John 14:2,3; 17:2; Hebrews 4:8,9
- in Shiloh
- 18:1,10; Genesis 49:10; Judges 21:19,21; 1 Samuel 1:3; Psalms 78:60; Jeremiah 7:12-14