The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 10
And after Abimelech there arose to defend Israel Tola the son of Puah, the son of Dodo, a man of Issachar; and he dwelt in Shamir in mount Ephraim.
- A. M. 2772. B.C. 1232. An. Ex. Is. 259. arose
- 2:16; 3:9
- or, deliver. Heb. save. Shamir.
- Joshua 15:48
And after him arose Jair, a Gileadite, and judged Israel twenty and two years.
- A. M. 2795. B.C. 1209. An. Ex. Is. 282. a Gileadite
- Genesis 31:48; Numbers 32:29
And he had thirty sons that rode on thirty ass colts, and they had thirty cities, which are called Havothjair unto this day, which are in the land of Gilead.
- 5:10; 12:14
- Numbers 32:41; Deuteronomy 3:14
- or, the villages of Jair.
And the children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the LORD, and served Baalim, and Ashtaroth, and the gods of Syria, and the gods of Zidon, and the gods of Moab, and the gods of the children of Ammon, and the gods of the Philistines, and forsook the LORD, and served not him.
- A. M. 2817. B.C. 1187. An. Ex. Is. 304. did evil
- 4:1; 6:1; 13:1
- A. M. 2799. B.C. 1205. An. Ex. Is. 286. Baalim
- 2:11-14; 3:7; 2 Chronicles 28:23; Psalms 106:36
- the gods of Zidon
- 1 Kings 11:5,7,33; 16:31; 2 Kings 17:16,29-31; 23:13
- the gods of the Philistines
- 16:23; 1 Samuel 5:2; 2 Kings 1:2,3; Jeremiah 2:13; Ezekiel 16:25,26
And the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel, and he sold them into the hands of the Philistines, and into the hands of the children of Ammon.
- was hot
- 2:14; Deuteronomy 29:20-28; 31:16-18; 32:16-22; Joshua 23:15,16; Psalms 74:1; Nahum 1:2,6
- he sold
- 4:2; 1 Samuel 12:9,10; Psalms 44:12; Isaiah 50:1
And that year they vexed and oppressed the children of Israel: eighteen years, all the children of Israel that were on the other side Jordan in the land of the Amorites, which is in Gilead.
- that year
- 5; Isaiah 30:13; 1 Thessalonians 5:3
- Heb. crushed.
Moreover the children of Ammon passed over Jordan to fight also against Judah, and against Benjamin, and against the house of Ephraim; so that Israel was sore distressed.
- 3:12,13; 6:3-5; 2 Chronicles 14:9; 20:1,2
- Deuteronomy 28:65; 1 Samuel 28:15; 2 Chronicles 15:5
And the children of Israel cried unto the LORD, saying, We have sinned against thee, both because we have forsaken our God, and also served Baalim.
- 3:9; 1 Samuel 12:10; Psalms 106:43,44; 107:13,19,28
And the LORD said unto the children of Israel, Did not I deliver you from the Egyptians, and from the Amorites, from the children of Ammon, and from the Philistines?
- Did not I
- Exodus 14:30; 1 Samuel 12:8; Nehemiah 9:9-11; Psalms 78:51-53; 106:8-11; Hebrews 11:29
- Numbers 21:21-25,35; Psalms 135:10,11
The Zidonians also, and the Amalekites, and the Maonites, did oppress you; and ye cried to me, and I delivered you out of their hand.
- the Maonites
- The LXX. have "the Midianites," which Dr. Wall thinks the true reading. But the Maonites might be a tribe of Arabs, inhabitants of Maon. (Jos 15:55. 1Sa 23:24, 25; 25:2,) which assisted Moab.
- 2 Chronicles 26:6,7; Psalms 106:42,43
Yet ye have forsaken me, and served other gods: wherefore I will deliver you no more.
- 2:12; Deuteronomy 32:15; 1 Chronicles 28:9; Jeremiah 2:13; Jonah 2:8
Go and cry unto the gods which ye have chosen; let them deliver you in the time of your tribulation.
- Deuteronomy 32:26-28,37,38; 1 Kings 18:27,28; 2 Kings 3:13; Proverbs 1:25-27; Isaiah 10:3; Jeremiah 2:28
And the children of Israel said unto the LORD, We have sinned: do thou unto us whatsoever seemeth good unto thee; deliver us only, we pray thee, this day.
- We have sinned
- 2 Samuel 12:13; 24:10; Job 33:27; Proverbs 28:13; 1 John 1:8-10
- do thou
- Joshua 9:25; 1 Samuel 3:18; 2 Samuel 10:12; 15:26; Jonah 2:4; 3:9
- seemeth, etc
- Heb. is good in thine eyes. deliver.
- 2 Samuel 24:14; Job 34:31,32
And they put away the strange gods from among them, and served the LORD: and his soul was grieved for the misery of Israel.
- they put
- 2 Chronicles 7:14; 15:8; 33:15; Jeremiah 18:7,8; Ezekiel 18:30-32; Hosea 14:1-3,8
- strange gods
- Heb. gods of strangers. his soul.
- Genesis 6:6; Psalms 106:44,45; Isaiah 63:9; Jeremiah 31:20; Hosea 11:8; Luke 15:20; 19:41; John 11:34; Ephesians 4:32; Hebrews 3:10; 4:15
- Heb. shortened. Not that there is any grief in God; he has infinite joy and happiness in himself, which cannot be broken in upon by either the sins or the miseries of his creatures. Not that there is any change in God; for he is of one mind, and who can turn him? But his goodness is his glory; by it he proclaims his name, and magnifies it; and as he is pleased to put himself into the relation of a father to his people, so he is pleased to represent his goodness to them by the compassion of a father to his children; for as he is the Father of lights, so is he the Father of mercies.
Then the children of Ammon were gathered together, and encamped in Gilead. And the children of Israel assembled themselves together, and encamped in Mizpeh.
- gathered together
- Heb. cried together. Mizpeh.
- 11:11,29; Genesis 31:49
And the people and princes of Gilead said one to another, What man is he that will begin to fight against the children of Ammon? he shall be head over all the inhabitants of Gilead.
- What man
- 1:1; 11:5-8; Isaiah 3:1-8; 34:12
- he shall be
- 11:11; 12:7; 1 Samuel 17:25