The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 9
And it came to pass on the eighth day, that Moses called Aaron and his sons, and the elders of Israel;
- the eighth day
- Not on the eighth day of the month, but on the first day after their consecration, which occupied seven days, and before which they were deemed unfit to minister in holy things, being considered in a state of imperfection. All creatures, for the most part, were considered as in a state of uncleanness and imperfection, seven days, and perfected on the eighth. (see ch. 12:2, 3; 14:8-10; 15:13, 14; 22:27; Nu 6:9, 10.)
- 8:33; 14:10,23; 15:14,29; Numbers 6:10; Ezekiel 43:26,27; Matthew 28:1
And he said unto Aaron, Take thee a young calf for a sin offering, and a ram for a burnt offering, without blemish, and offer them before the LORD.
- a young
- 7,8; 4:3; 8:14; Exodus 29:1; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 5:3; 7:27; 10:10-14
- and a ram
And unto the children of Israel thou shalt speak, saying, Take ye a kid of the goats for a sin offering; and a calf and a lamb, both of the first year, without blemish, for a burnt offering;
- Take ye
- 4:23; 16:5,15; Ezra 6:17; 10:19; Isaiah 53:10; Romans 8:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Titus 2:14; Hebrews 9:26-28; 1 Peter 2:24; 3:18; Revelation 5:9
- a kid
- As the offering here is a kid, which was the sacrifice of the sin of the ruler, some think that the reading of the Samaritan and the LXX. is to be preferred: "Speak unto the Elders of Israel."
- a calf
- 12:6; 14:10; 23:12; Exodus 12:5
Also a bullock and a ram for peace offerings, to sacrifice before the LORD; and a meat offering mingled with oil: for to day the LORD will appear unto you.
- a bullock
- and a meat
- 2:1-16; 6:14-23; Numbers 15:3-9
- 6,23; Exodus 16:10; 19:11; 24:16; 29:43; 40:34,35; Numbers 14:10; 16:19; 1 Kings 8:10-12; Ezekiel 43:2
And they brought that which Moses commanded before the tabernacle of the congregation: and all the congregation drew near and stood before the LORD.
- and all the congregation
- Exodus 19:17; Deuteronomy 31:12; 1 Chronicles 15:3; 2 Chronicles 5:2,3; Nehemiah 8:1
And Moses said, This is the thing which the LORD commanded that ye should do: and the glory of the LORD shall appear unto you.
- and the glory
- 23; Exodus 16:10; 24:16; 40:34,35; 1 Kings 8:10-12; 2 Chronicles 5:13,14; Ezekiel 43:2
And Moses said unto Aaron, Go unto the altar, and offer thy sin offering, and thy burnt offering, and make an atonement for thyself, and for the people: and offer the offering of the people, and make an atonement for them; as the LORD commanded.
- offer thy
- 2; 4:3,20; 8:34; 1 Samuel 3:14; Hebrews 5:3; 7:27,28; 9:7
- offer the
- 4:16-20; Hebrews 5:1
Aaron therefore went unto the altar, and slew the calf of the sin offering, which was for himself.
- 1:4,5; 4:4,29
And the sons of Aaron brought the blood unto him: and he dipped his finger in the blood, and put it upon the horns of the altar, and poured out the blood at the bottom of the altar:
- 4:6,7,17,18,25,30; 8:15; 16:18; Hebrews 2:10; 9:22,23; 10:4-19
But the fat, and the kidneys, and the caul above the liver of the sin offering, he burnt upon the altar; as the LORD commanded Moses.
- the fat
- 3:3-5,9-11; 4:8-12,34,35; 8:16,17; Psalms 51:17; Proverbs 23:26; Isaiah 53:10; Isaiah 57:15; 66:2
- as the Lord
And the flesh and the hide he burnt with fire without the camp.
- 4:11,12,21; 8:17; 16:27,28; Hebrews 13:11,12
And he slew the burnt offering; and Aaron's sons presented unto him the blood, which he sprinkled round about upon the altar.
- 1:1-17; 8:18-21; Ephesians 5:2,25-27
And he did wash the inwards and the legs, and burnt them upon the burnt offering on the altar.
And he brought the people's offering, and took the goat, which was the sin offering for the people, and slew it, and offered it for sin, as the first.
- 3; 4:27-31; 9:15; Numbers 28:1-29; Isaiah 53:10; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Titus 2:14; Hebrews 2:17; 5:3
And he brought the burnt offering, and offered it according to the manner.
- or, ordinance.
- 12-14; 1:3-10; 8:18-21; Hebrews 10:1-22
And he brought the meat offering, and took an handful thereof, and burnt it upon the altar, beside the burnt sacrifice of the morning.
- the meat
- 1; 2:1,2; Exodus 29:38,41; John 6:53; Galatians 2:20
- took an handful thereof
- Heb. filled his hand out of it. beside.
- Exodus 29:38-42
He slew also the bullock and the ram for a sacrifice of peace offerings, which was for the people: and Aaron's sons presented unto him the blood, which he sprinkled upon the altar round about,
- a sacrifice
- 3:1-17; 7:11-18; Romans 5:1,10; Ephesians 2:14-17; Colossians 1:20
And the fat of the bullock and of the ram, the rump, and that which covereth the inwards, and the kidneys, and the caul above the liver:
- 10; 3:5,16
And they put the fat upon the breasts, and he burnt the fat upon the altar:
- they put
And the breasts and the right shoulder Aaron waved for a wave offering before the LORD; as Moses commanded.
- the breasts
- 7:24,26,30-34; Exodus 29:27,28; Isaiah 49:3; Luke 2:13; 1 Peter 4:11
- as Moses commanded
- The Samaritan text, and thirty MSS. have, kaasher tzivvah yehowah eth Moshe, "as Jehovah commanded Moses;" which is also the reading of the LXX., Arabic, and Targum of Onkelos, and seems to be the true reading, being supported, not only by these authorities, but by the whole chapter itself.'
And Aaron lifted up his hand toward the people, and blessed them, and came down from offering of the sin offering, and the burnt offering, and peace offerings.
- his hand
- or, as the Greek has it, "his hands." Menachem gives reason why it is written hand, to signify the right hand, because that was lifted up higher than the left. The lifting up of the hand was a gesture used in speaking, and signifying any weighty thing, Isa 49:22; and particularly in swearing, Ge 14:22; praying, Ps 28:2; and blessing, either of God, Ps 134:2, or of men, as in this place. Paul, speaking of prayer, uses the phrase, "lifting up holy hands;" as also David: "Let the lifting up of my hands be as the evening sacrifice."
- Genesis 14:18-20; Numbers 6:23-27; Deuteronomy 10:8; 21:5; 1 Kings 8:55; 1 Chronicles 23:13; 2 Chronicles 6:3; Psalms 72:17; Mark 10:16; Luke 24:50; Acts 3:26; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Hebrews 7:6,7; 1 Peter 3:9
And Moses and Aaron went into the tabernacle of the congregation, and came out, and blessed the people: and the glory of the LORD appeared unto all the people.
- came out
- Luke 1:21,22; Hebrews 9:24-28
- the glory
- 6; Numbers 14:10; 16:19,42
And there came a fire out from before the LORD, and consumed upon the altar the burnt offering and the fat: which when all the people saw, they shouted, and fell on their faces.
- there came a fire
- These victims were consumed by a fire of no human kindling. Josephus says that "a fire proceeded from the victims themselves, of its own accord, which had the appearance of a flash of lightning, and consumed all that was upon the altar."
- 6:13; Genesis 4:3,4; 15:17; Exodus 3:2; Judges 6:21; 13:19,20,23; 1 Kings 18:38; 2 Kings 19:15; 1 Chronicles 21:26; 2 Chronicles 6:2; 7:1-3; Psalms 20:3,4; 80:1; *marg:
- they shouted
- Genesis 17:3; Numbers 14:5; 16:22; 1 Kings 18:39; 2 Chronicles 7:3; Ezra 3:11; Matthew 26:39; Revelation 4:9; 5:8; 7:11