The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 24
Command the children of Israel, that they bring unto thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamps to burn continually.
- that they
- Exodus 27:20,21; 39:37; 40:24; Numbers 8:2-4; 1 Samuel 3:3,4
- the lamps
- 2 Chronicles 13:11; Psalms 119:105,130; Proverbs 6:23; Isaiah 8:20; 11:2; Matthew 4:16; 5:16; Matthew 25:1-8; Luke 1:79; 12:35; John 1:4,9; 5:35; 8:12; Acts 26:18; 2 Corinthians 4:6; Ephesians 1:17,18; 5:8-14; Philippians 2:15,16
- burn continually
- Heb. ascend.
He shall order the lamps upon the pure candlestick before the LORD continually.
- the pure
- Exodus 25:31-39; 31:8; 37:17-24; 39:37; Numbers 3:31; 4:9; 1 Kings 7:49; 1 Chronicles 28:15; Jeremiah 52:19; Zechariah 4:2,3,11-14; Hebrews 9:2; Revelation 1:20; 2:1,5; Revelation 11:4
And thou shalt take fine flour, and bake twelve cakes thereof: two tenth deals shall be in one cake.
- Exodus 25:30; 40:23; 1 Kings 18:31; 1 Samuel 21:4,5; Matthew 12:4; Acts 26:7; James 1:1
And thou shalt set them in two rows, six on a row, upon the pure table before the LORD.
- in two rows
- 1 Corinthians 14:40
- Exodus 25:23,24; 37:10-16; 39:36; 40:22,23; 1 Kings 7:48; 2 Chronicles 4:19; 13:11; Hebrews 9:2
And thou shalt put pure frankincense upon each row, that it may be on the bread for a memorial, even an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
- 2:2; Ephesians 1:6; Hebrews 7:25; Revelation 8:3,4
- the bread
- John 6:35,51
- a memorial
- Genesis 9:16; Exodus 12:14; 13:9; 17:14; Acts 10:4,31; 1 Corinthians 11:23-25
Every sabbath he shall set it in order before the LORD continually, being taken from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant.
- Numbers 4:7; 1 Chronicles 9:32; 23:29; 2 Chronicles 2:4; Nehemiah 10:33; Matthew 12:3-5
And it shall be Aaron's and his sons'; and they shall eat it in the holy place: for it is most holy unto him of the offerings of the LORD made by fire by a perpetual statute.
- 8:31; 1 Samuel 21:6; Malachi 1:12; Matthew 12:4; Mark 2:26; Luke 6:4
- they shall
- 6:16; 8:3,31; 10:17; 21:22; Exodus 29:32,33
And the son of an Israelitish woman, whose father was an Egyptian, went out among the children of Israel: and this son of the Israelitish woman and a man of Israel strove together in the camp;
- Exodus 12:38; Numbers 11:4
And the Israelitish woman's son blasphemed the name of the LORD, and cursed. And they brought him unto Moses: (and his mother's name was Shelomith, the daughter of Dibri, of the tribe of Dan:)
- 15,16; Exodus 20:7; 2 Samuel 12:14; 1 Kings 21:10,13; 2 Kings 18:30,35,37; 2 Kings 19:1-3,6,10,22; 2 Chronicles 32:14-17; Psalms 74:18,22; Matthew 26:65; Acts 6:11-13; Romans 2:24; 1 Timothy 1:13; Revelation 16:11,21
- the name
- Houbigant and others think that the name which this man blasphemed was the name of the god of his native land. But that hashshem THE NAME, denotes Jehovah, appears from its being used in the latter part of verse 16, as equivalent to "the name of Jehovah," in the former part. The Jews also frequently use hashshem for Jehovah.
- Job 1:5,11,22; 2:5,9,10; Isaiah 8:21
- brought him
- Exodus 18:22,26; Numbers 15:33-35
And they put him in ward, that the mind of the LORD might be shewed them.
- that the mind of the Lord might be shewed them
- Heb. to expound unto them according to the mouth of the Lord.
- Exodus 18:15,16,23; Numbers 27:5; 36:5,6
Bring forth him that hath cursed without the camp; and let all that heard him lay their hands upon his head, and let all the congregation stone him.
- 13:46; Numbers 5:2-4; 15:35
- all that
- Deuteronomy 13:9; 17:7
- let all the
- 20:2,27; Numbers 15:35,36; Deuteronomy 13:10; 21:21; 22:21; Joshua 7:25; John 8:59; John 10:31-33; Acts 7:58,59
And thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel, saying, Whosoever curseth his God shall bear his sin.
- bear his sin
- 5:1; 20:16,17; Numbers 9:13
And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the LORD, shall be put to death.
- As the word nakav not only signifies to curse, or blaspheme, but also to express, or distinguish by name, (Nu 1:17. 1 Ch 12:31. Isa 62:2,) hence the Jews, at a very early period, understood this law as prohibiting them from uttering the name Jehovah, on any other than sacred occasions. The Septuagint, which was made at least 250 years before Christ, renders it [Onomazon de to onoma Kyriou, thanato thanatoustho] "Whosoever nameth the name of the Lord, let him die;" from which we see that the Jews at this time were accustomed to pronounce adonay, or Lord, instead of Jehovah; for in place of it the Septuagint always put [Lo Kyrios.]
- Exodus 20:7; 1 Kings 21:10-13; Psalms 74:10,18; 139:20; Matthew 12:31; Mark 3:28,29; John 8:58,59; 10:33-36; Acts 26:11; 1 Timothy 1:13; James 2:7
And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.
- And he
- Genesis 9:5,6; Exodus 21:12-14; Numbers 35:31; Deuteronomy 19:11,12
- killeth any man
- Heb. smiteth the life of a man.
And he that killeth a beast shall make it good; beast for beast.
- that killeth
- 21; Exodus 21:34-36
- beast for beast
- Heb. life for life.
And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour; as he hath done, so shall it be done to him;
- Deuteronomy 19:21; Matthew 5:38; 7:2
Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.
- Exodus 21:23-25; Deuteronomy 19:21; Matthew 5:38
And he that killeth a beast, he shall restore it: and he that killeth a man, he shall be put to death.
- a beast
- 18; Exodus 21:33
- a man
Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I am the LORD your God.
- 17:10; 19:34; Exodus 12:49; Numbers 9:14; 15:15,16,29
And Moses spake to the children of Israel, that they should bring forth him that had cursed out of the camp, and stone him with stones. And the children of Israel did as the LORD commanded Moses.
- 14-16; Numbers 15:35,36; Hebrews 2:2,3; 10:28,29