The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 4
Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a soul shall sin through ignorance against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and shall do against any of them:
- 5:15,17; Numbers 15:22-29; Deuteronomy 19:4; 1 Samuel 14:27; Psalms 19:12; 1 Timothy 1:13; Hebrews 5:2; 9:7
- which ought
- 27; Genesis 20:9; James 3:10
If the priest that is anointed do sin according to the sin of the people; then let him bring for his sin, which he hath sinned, a young bullock without blemish unto the LORD for a sin offering.
- the priest
- 8:12; 21:10-12; Exodus 29:7,21
- a young bullock
- 14; 9:2; 16:6,11; Ezekiel 43:19
- for a sin
- 5:6; Exodus 29:14; 30:10; Numbers 8:8; Ezra 8:35; Romans 8:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 5:3; Hebrews 7:27,28
And he shall bring the bullock unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before the LORD; and shall lay his hand upon the bullock's head, and kill the bullock before the LORD.
- 1:3; Exodus 29:10,11
- lay his hand
- 1:4; 16:21; Isaiah 53:6; Daniel 9:26; 1 Peter 3:18
And the priest that is anointed shall take of the bullock's blood, and bring it to the tabernacle of the congregation:
- 16,17; 16:14,19; Numbers 19:4; 1 John 1:7
And the priest shall dip his finger in the blood, and sprinkle of the blood seven times before the LORD, before the vail of the sanctuary.
- 17,25,30,34; 8:15; 9:9; 16:14,19; Numbers 19:4
- seven times
- The number seven is what is called a number of perfection among the Hebrews; and is often used to denote the completion, fulness, or perfection of a thing.
- 14:16,18,27; 25:8; 26:18,24,28; Joshua 6:4,8
And the priest shall put some of the blood upon the horns of the altar of sweet incense before the LORD, which is in the tabernacle of the congregation; and shall pour all the blood of the bullock at the bottom of the altar of the burnt offering, which is at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.
- the horns
- 8:15; 9:9; 16:18; Exodus 30:1-10; Psalms 118:27; Hebrews 9:21-15
- all the blood
- 18,34; 5:9; 8:15; Ephesians 2:13
And he shall take off from it all the fat of the bullock for the sin offering; the fat that covereth the inwards, and all the fat that is upon the inwards,
- 19,26,31,35; 3:3-5,9-11,14-16; 7:3-5; 16:25; Isaiah 53:10; John 12:27
And the skin of the bullock, and all his flesh, with his head, and with his legs, and his inwards, and his dung,
- 21; 6:30; 8:14-17; 9:8-11; 16:27; Exodus 29:14; Numbers 19:5; Psalms 103:12; Hebrews 13:11-13
Even the whole bullock shall he carry forth without the camp unto a clean place, where the ashes are poured out, and burn him on the wood with fire: where the ashes are poured out shall he be burnt.
- without the camp
- Heb. to without the camp. This was intended, figuratively, to express the enormity of this sin, and the availableness of the atonement. The sacrifice, as having the sin of the priest transferred from himself to it, by his confession and imposition of hands, was become unclean and abominable, and was carried, as it were, out of God's sight; and thus its own offensiveness was removed, with the sin of the person in whose behalf it was offered.
- 13:46; Numbers 5:3; 15:35; 19:3
- the ashes
- burn him
- Exodus 29:14; Numbers 19:5; Hebrews 13:11
- where the ashes are poured out
- Heb. at the pouring out of the ashes.
And if the whole congregation of Israel sin through ignorance, and the thing be hid from the eyes of the assembly, and they have done somewhat against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which should not be done, and are guilty;
- the whole congregation
- This may refer to some oversight in acts of religious worship, or to some transgression of the letter of the law, which arose out of the peculiar circumstances in which they were found, as in the case mentioned in 1 Sa 14:32, et seq. The sacrifices and rites in this case were the same as in the preceding; only here the elders laid their hands on the head of the victim, in the name of all the congregation.
- through ignorance
- 1,2; 5:2-5,17; Numbers 15:24-29; Joshua 7:11,24-26; 1 Timothy 1:13; Hebrews 10:26-29
- and are guilty
- 5:2-5,17; 6:4; Ezra 10:19; Hosea 5:15; *marg:; 1 Corinthians 11:27
When the sin, which they have sinned against it, is known, then the congregation shall offer a young bullock for the sin, and bring him before the tabernacle of the congregation.
- young bullock
And the elders of the congregation shall lay their hands upon the head of the bullock before the LORD: and the bullock shall be killed before the LORD.
- the elders
- Exodus 24:1,9; Numbers 11:16,25; Deuteronomy 21:3-9
- 4; 1:4; 16:21
And the priest that is anointed shall bring of the bullock's blood to the tabernacle of the congregation:
- 5-12; Hebrews 9:12-14
And the priest shall dip his finger in some of the blood, and sprinkle it seven times before the LORD, even before the vail.
And he shall put some of the blood upon the horns of the altar which is before the LORD, that is in the tabernacle of the congregation, and shall pour out all the blood at the bottom of the altar of the burnt offering, which is at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.
- upon the
- and shall pour out
- The reason for pouring out the blood, which is so constantly and strictly required by the law, was in opposition to an idolatrous custom of the ancient Zabii, who "were accustomed to eat of the blood of their sacrifices, because they imagined this to be the food of their gods, with whom they thought they had such communion, by eating their meat, that they revealed to them future things."--Maimonides
And he shall take all his fat from him, and burn it upon the altar.
- 8-10,26,31,35; 5:6; 6:7; 12:8; 14:18; Numbers 15:25; Psalms 22:14; Hebrews 1:3; Hebrews 9:14
And he shall do with the bullock as he did with the bullock for a sin offering, so shall he do with this: and the priest shall make an atonement for them, and it shall be forgiven them.
- with the
- an atonement
- 26; 1:4; 5:6; 6:7; 12:8; 14:18; Exodus 32:30; Numbers 15:25; Daniel 9:24; Romans 5:11; Galatians 3:13; Hebrews 1:3; 2:17; 9:14; 10:10-12; 1 John 1:7; 2:2; Revelation 1:5
And he shall carry forth the bullock without the camp, and burn him as he burned the first bullock: it is a sin offering for the congregation.
- as he
- a sin offering
- 16:15,21; 2 Chronicles 29:21-24; Ezra 8:35; Matthew 20:28; 2 Corinthians 5:21; 1 Timothy 2:5,6
When a ruler hath sinned, and done somewhat through ignorance against any of the commandments of the LORD his God concerning things which should not be done, and is guilty;
- a ruler hath sinned
- Under the term nasi, that is, one preferred or elevated above others, from nasa, to exalt, it is probable that any person is meant who held any kind of political dignity among the people; and it evidently means the head of a tribe as in Nu 1:4, 16; 7:2. But the Rabbins generally understand it of the prince of the great sanhedrin, who, when they were under the regal form of government, was the king. A kid of the goats was the sacrifice in this case; and the rites were nearly the same as in the preceding, only the fat was burnt as that of the peace offering. (ver. 26.)
- Exodus 18:21; Numbers 16:2; 2 Samuel 21:1-3; 24:10-17
- and done
Or if his sin, wherein he hath sinned, come to his knowledge; he shall bring his offering, a kid of the goats, a male without blemish:
- if his sin
- 14; 5:4; 2 Kings 22:10-13
- a kid
- 9:3; 23:19; Numbers 7:16,22,28,34; 15:24; 28:15,30; 29:5,11,16,19; Romans 8:3
And he shall lay his hand upon the head of the goat, and kill it in the place where they kill the burnt offering before the LORD: it is a sin offering.
- And he
- 4-35; Isaiah 53:6
- in the place
- 1:5,11; 3:2,8,13; 4:4,15,29,33; 6:25; 7:2; 16:15; Exodus 29:38
- it is a sin
And the priest shall take of the blood of the sin offering with his finger, and put it upon the horns of the altar of burnt offering, and shall pour out his blood at the bottom of the altar of burnt offering.
- 7,18,30,34; 8:10,15; 9:9; 16:18; Isaiah 40:21; Romans 3:24-26; 8:3,4; 10:4; Hebrews 2:10; 9:22
And he shall burn all his fat upon the altar, as the fat of the sacrifice of peace offerings: and the priest shall make an atonement for him as concerning his sin, and it shall be forgiven him.
- the fat
- See on ch
- 3:5; 6:20-30
- an atonement
- 20; Numbers 15:28
And if any one of the common people sin through ignorance, while he doeth somewhat against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and be guilty;
- any one
- Heb. any soul.
- 2; Numbers 15:27
- common people
- Heb. people of the land . Am hašretz; that is, any individual who was not a priest, king, or ruler among the people; an ordinary person. Any of these having transgressed, was obliged to bring a lamb or kid, the ceremonies being nearly the same as in the preceding cases.
- 2,13; Exodus 12:49; Numbers 5:6; 15:16,29
Or if his sin, which he hath sinned, come to his knowledge: then he shall bring his offering, a kid of the goats, a female without blemish, for his sin which he hath sinned.
- a kid
- 23,32; 5:6; Genesis 3:15; Isaiah 7:14; Jeremiah 31:22; Romans 8:3; Galatians 4:4,5
- a female
- 23; Galatians 3:28
And he shall lay his hand upon the head of the sin offering, and slay the sin offering in the place of the burnt offering.
- 4,15,24,33; Hebrews 10:4-14
And the priest shall take of the blood thereof with his finger, and put it upon the horns of the altar of burnt offering, and shall pour out all the blood thereof at the bottom of the altar.
- upon the horns
- 25,34; Isaiah 42:21; Romans 8:3,4; 10:4; Hebrews 2:10
- pour out
- There may have been some place at the bottom of the altar to receive and carry off the blood.
And he shall take away all the fat thereof, as the fat is taken away from off the sacrifice of peace offerings; and the priest shall burn it upon the altar for a sweet savour unto the LORD; and the priest shall make an atonement for him, and it shall be forgiven him.
- all the fat
- 8-10,19,26,35; 3:3-5,9-11,14-16
- a sweet
- 1:9,13,17; 3:3,5; 8:21; Exodus 29:18; Ezra 6:10; Job 42:8; Psalms 40:6,7; Psalms 51:16,17; 69:30,31; Isaiah 42:21; 53:10; Matthew 3:17; Ephesians 5:2; Hebrews 1:3; Hebrews 9:12,14,15; 10:12,14; 1 Peter 2:4,5; 1 John 1:7; 4:9,10; Revelation 5:9
- and the priest
And if he bring a lamb for a sin offering, he shall bring it a female without blemish.
- a lamb
- 28; 3:6,7; 5:6; Exodus 12:3,5; Isaiah 53:7; Luke 1:35; John 1:29,36; Hebrews 7:26; 1 Peter 1:18-20; 2:22,24; 3:18; Revelation 5:6,8,9
- without blemish
- 28; Ephesians 5:27; Hebrews 9:14; 1 Peter 2:22; 3:18
And he shall lay his hand upon the head of the sin offering, and slay it for a sin offering in the place where they kill the burnt offering.
And the priest shall take of the blood of the sin offering with his finger, and put it upon the horns of the altar of burnt offering, and shall pour out all the blood thereof at the bottom of the altar:
- the horns of the altar
- 25,30; Isaiah 42:21; John 17:19; Romans 8:1,3; 10:4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 2:10; Hebrews 10:29; 1 Peter 1:18-20; 2:24; 3:18
And he shall take away all the fat thereof, as the fat of the lamb is taken away from the sacrifice of the peace offerings; and the priest shall burn them upon the altar, according to the offerings made by fire unto the LORD: and the priest shall make an atonement for his sin that he hath committed, and it shall be forgiven him.
- And he
- and the priest shall make
- 20,26,30,31; 1:4; 5:6,10,13; 6:7; 9:7; 12:8; 14:18,53; 16:1-34; Numbers 15:25; Romans 3:24-26; 4:25; 5:6-11,15-21; 8:1,3,4; 10:4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Ephesians 1:6,7; 5:2; Colossians 1:14; Hebrews 1:3; 4:14; 7:26; 9:14; 1 Peter 1:18,19; 1 Peter 2:22,24; 3:18; 1 John 1:7; 2:2; 4:9,10; Revelation 1:5,6