The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 2
He that dasheth in pieces is come up before thy face: keep the munition, watch the way, make thy loins strong, fortify thy power mightily.
- He that dasheth in pieces
- or, The disperser, or, hammer.
- Isaiah 14:6; Jeremiah 25:9; 50:23; 51:20-23
- 3:14,15; 2 Chronicles 25:8; Jeremiah 46:3-10; 51:11,12; Joel 3:9-11
For the LORD hath turned away the excellency of Jacob, as the excellency of Israel: for the emptiers have emptied them out, and marred their vine branches.
- Isaiah 10:5-12; Jeremiah 25:29
- excellency of Jacob as the excellency
- or, the pride of Jacob as the pride.
- Zephaniah 3:11
- Genesis 49:22,23; Psalms 80:12,13; Jeremiah 49:9; Hosea 10:1
The shield of his mighty men is made red, the valiant men are in scarlet: the chariots shall be with flaming torches in the day of his preparation, and the fir trees shall be terribly shaken.
- Isaiah 63:1-3; Zechariah 1:8; 6:2; Revelation 6:4; 12:3
- in scarlet
- or, dyed scarlet. flaming. or, fiery. the fir tree.
- Isaiah 14:8; Zechariah 11:2
The chariots shall rage in the streets, they shall justle one against another in the broad ways: they shall seem like torches, they shall run like the lightnings.
- 3:2,3; Isaiah 37:24; 66:15; Jeremiah 4:13; Ezekiel 26:10; Daniel 11:40
- they shall seem
- Heb. their show.
He shall recount his worthies: they shall stumble in their walk; they shall make haste to the wall thereof, and the defence shall be prepared.
- Isaiah 21:5; Jeremiah 50:29; 51:27,28
- or, gallants. they shall stumble.
- 3:3; Isaiah 5:27; Jeremiah 46:12
- or, covering, or, coverer.
The gates of the rivers shall be opened, and the palace shall be dissolved.
- Isaiah 45:1,2
- or, molten.
- 2 Peter 3:10,11
And Huzzab shall be led away captive, she shall be brought up, and her maids shall lead her as with the voice of doves, tabering upon their breasts.
- or, that which was established; or, there was a stand made. led away captive. or, discovered. doves.
- Isaiah 38:14; 59:11; Luke 23:27,48
But Nineveh is of old like a pool of water: yet they shall flee away. Stand, stand, shall they cry; but none shall look back.
- of old
- or, from the days that she hath been.
- Genesis 10:11
- Jeremiah 51:13; Revelation 17:1,15
- 3:17; Isaiah 13:14; 47:13; 48:20; Jeremiah 50:16; 51:30
- look back
- or, cause them to turn.
Take ye the spoil of silver, take the spoil of gold: for there is none end of the store and glory out of all the pleasant furniture.
- Isaiah 33:1,4; Jeremiah 51:56
- for there is none end of the store
- or, and their infinite store, etc.
- pleasant furniture
- Heb. vessels of desire.
- 2 Chronicles 36:10; Jeremiah 25:34; Ezekiel 26:12; Daniel 11:8; *margins
She is empty, and void, and waste: and the heart melteth, and the knees smite together, and much pain is in all loins, and the faces of them all gather blackness.
- She is
- Nineveh was taken and utterly ruined by Assuerus, or Cyaxares, king of Media, and Nabuchodonosor, or Nabopolassar, king of Babylon, B.C. 606, or 612. Diodorus, who with others ascribes the taking of it to Arbaces the Mede and Belesis the Babylonian, says that he "dispersed the citizens in the villages, levelled the city with the ground, transferred the gold and silver, of which there were many talents, to Ecbatana the metropolis of the Medes, and this subverted the empire of the Assyrians."
- 3:7; Genesis 1:2; Isaiah 13:19-22; 14:23; 24:1; 34:10-15; Jeremiah 4:23-26; Jeremiah 51:62; Zephaniah 2:13-15; 3:6; Revelation 18:21-23
- the heart
- Joshua 2:11; Psalms 22:14; Isaiah 13:7,8
- the knees
- Daniel 5:6
- and much
- Isaiah 21:3; Jeremiah 30:6
- and the faces
- Joel 2:6
Where is the dwelling of the lions, and the feedingplace of the young lions, where the lion, even the old lion, walked, and the lion's whelp, and none made them afraid?
- the dwelling
- 3:1; Job 4:10,11; Isaiah 5:29; Jeremiah 2:15; 4:7; 50:17,44; Ezekiel 19:2-8; Zephaniah 3:3
- Genesis 49:9; Isaiah 31:4
The lion did tear in pieces enough for his whelps, and strangled for his lionesses, and filled his holes with prey, and his dens with ravin.
- and filled
- Psalms 17:12; Isaiah 10:6-14; Jeremiah 51:34
Behold, I am against thee, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will burn her chariots in the smoke, and the sword shall devour thy young lions: and I will cut off thy prey from the earth, and the voice of thy messengers shall no more be heard.
- I am
- 3:5; Jeremiah 21:13; 50:31; 51:25; Ezekiel 5:8; 26:3; 28:22; 29:3,10; Ezekiel 35:3; 38:3; 39:1
- I will burn
- Joshua 11:9; 2 Kings 19:23; Psalms 46:9
- and the sword
- Isaiah 31:8,9; 37:36-38
- I will cut
- 3:1,12; Isaiah 33:1-4; 49:24,25
- the voice
- 2 Kings 18:17,19,27-35; 19:9,23; 2 Chronicles 32:9-16,19