The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 13
On that day they read in the book of Moses in the audience of the people; and therein was found written, that the Ammonite and the Moabite should not come into the congregation of God for ever;
- that day
- Some suppose that the events recorded in these verses took place several years after those related in the preceding chapter, while Nehemiah was absent at the Persian court; but the introductory language, on that day, seems rather to imply that they occurred immediately, or at least about that time.
- they read
- Heb. there was read.
- 8:3-8; 9:3; Deuteronomy 31:11,12; 2 Kings 23:2; Isaiah 34:16; Luke 4:16-19; 10:26; Acts 13:15; 15:21
- Heb. ears. the Ammonite.
- 23; Deuteronomy 23:3-5; Isaiah 15:1-16; Jeremiah 48:1-47; Ezekiel 25:1-11; Amos 2:1-3
- 2:10,19; 4:3; Psalms 83:7-9; Jeremiah 49:1-6; Amos 1:13-15
Because they met not the children of Israel with bread and with water, but hired Balaam against them, that he should curse them: howbeit our God turned the curse into a blessing.
- Matthew 25:40
- hired Balaam
- Numbers 22:3-6; Joshua 24:9,10
- our God
- Numbers 23:8-11,18; 24:5-10; Deuteronomy 23:5; Psalms 109:28; Micah 6:5
Now it came to pass, when they had heard the law, that they separated from Israel all the mixed multitude.
- when they
- Psalms 19:7-11; 119:9,11; Proverbs 6:23; Romans 3:20
- that they
- 9:2; 10:28; Ezra 10:11; James 1:27
- the mixed
- Exodus 12:38; Numbers 11:4
And before this, Eliashib the priest, having the oversight of the chamber of the house of our God, was allied unto Tobiah:
- having the oversight of
- Heb. being set over.
- 28; 6:17,18
And he had prepared for him a great chamber, where aforetime they laid the meat offerings, the frankincense, and the vessels, and the tithes of the corn, the new wine, and the oil, which was commanded to be given to the Levites, and the singers, and the porters; and the offerings of the priests.
- a great
- 10:38; 12:44; 2 Chronicles 34:11
- which was commanded to be given to the
- Heb. the commandment of the.
- Numbers 18:21-24
But in all this time was not I at Jerusalem: for in the two and thirtieth year of Artaxerxes king of Babylon came I unto the king, and after certain days obtained I leave of the king:
- Exodus 32:1; 2 Chronicles 24:17,18; Matthew 13:25
- Nehemiah came to Jerusalem in the twentieth year of Artaxerxes, and remained there till the thirty-second, being twelve years; then returned to Babylon; and probably, after about a year, got leave to revisit his brethren, and found matters as here stated.
- the two
- 2:1; 5:14
- after certain days
- Heb. at the end of days.
- obtained I
- or, I earnestly requested.
And I came to Jerusalem, and understood of the evil that Eliashib did for Tobiah, in preparing him a chamber in the courts of the house of God.
- Ezra 9:1; 1 Corinthians 1:11
- in preparing
- 1,5; Lamentations 1:10; Matthew 21:12,13; Acts 21:28,29
And it grieved me sore: therefore I cast forth all the household stuff of Tobiah out of the chamber.
- it grieved
- Ezra 9:3,4; 10:1; Psalms 69:9
- I cast
- Mark 11:15-17; John 2:13-17
Then I commanded, and they cleansed the chambers: and thither brought I again the vessels of the house of God, with the meat offering and the frankincense.
- they cleansed
- 12:45; 2 Chronicles 29:5,15-19
And I perceived that the portions of the Levites had not been given them: for the Levites and the singers, that did the work, were fled every one to his field.
- the portions
- 10:37; 12:47; Malachi 1:6-14; 3:8; 1 Timothy 5:17,18
- to his field
- Numbers 35:2
Then contended I with the rulers, and said, Why is the house of God forsaken? And I gathered them together, and set them in their place.
- 17,25; 5:6-13; Job 31:34; Proverbs 28:4
- Why is the house
- 10:39; 1 Samuel 2:17; Malachi 3:8-11
- Heb. standing.
Then brought all Judah the tithe of the corn and the new wine and the oil unto the treasuries.
- 10:37-39; 12:44; Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:20-26; Deuteronomy 14:22
- or, storehouses.
- Malachi 3:10
And I made treasurers over the treasuries, Shelemiah the priest, and Zadok the scribe, and of the Levites, Pedaiah: and next to them was Hanan the son of Zaccur, the son of Mattaniah: for they were counted faithful, and their office was to distribute unto their brethren.
- I made
- 12:44; 2 Chronicles 31:12-15
- next to them
- Heb. at their hand. Zaccur.
- 11:22; 12:35
- 7:2; 2 Kings 12:15; 22:7; Luke 12:42; 16:10-12; Acts 6:3; 1 Corinthians 4:2; 1 Timothy 1:12; 1 Timothy 3:10
- their office
- Heb. it was upon them. to distribute.
- Acts 4:35; 6:1
Remember me, O my God, concerning this, and wipe not out my good deeds that I have done for the house of my God, and for the offices thereof.
- Remember me
- 22,31; 5:19; Psalms 122:6-9; Hebrews 6:10; Revelation 3:5
- wipe not
- If thou wert strict to mark what is done amiss, even my good deeds must be wiped out: but, Lord, remember me in thy mercy, and let my upright conduct be acceptable to Thee! By some, Nehemiah has been thought to deal too much with God on the principle of merit. That he wished God to remember him for good is sufficiently evident, and who does not wish the same? But that he expected heaven for his good deeds does not appear; for it is perfectly clear that he expected nothing from God but through the greatness of his mercy.
- good deeds
- Heb. kindnesses. house.
- 1 Chronicles 29:3; 2 Chronicles 24:16; 31:20,21; Ezra 7:20,24,27; Psalms 122:6-9
- or, observations.
In those days saw I in Judah some treading wine presses on the sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and lading asses; as also wine, grapes, and figs, and all manner of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the sabbath day: and I testified against them in the day wherein they sold victuals.
- treading wine
- Exodus 20:8-11; 34:21; 35:2; Isaiah 58:13; Ezekiel 20:13
- 10:31; Numbers 15:32-36; Jeremiah 17:21,22,24,27
- I testified
- 21; 9:29; Deuteronomy 8:19; 2 Chronicles 24:19; Psalms 50:7; Jeremiah 42:19; Micah 6:3; Acts 2:40; Acts 20:21; Galatians 5:3; Ephesians 4:17; 1 Thessalonians 4:6; Revelation 22:18,19
There dwelt men of Tyre also therein, which brought fish, and all manner of ware, and sold on the sabbath unto the children of Judah, and in Jerusalem.
- men of Tyre
- Exodus 23:12; Deuteronomy 5:14
Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said unto them, What evil thing is this that ye do, and profane the sabbath day?
- I contended
- 11,25; 5:7; Psalms 82:1,2; Proverbs 28:4; Isaiah 1:10; Jeremiah 5:5; 13:18; 22:2-23; Micah 3:1,9
Did not your fathers thus, and did not our God bring all this evil upon us, and upon this city? yet ye bring more wrath upon Israel by profaning the sabbath.
- Did not your
- Ezra 9:13-15; Jeremiah 17:21-23,27; 44:9,22; Ezekiel 23:8,26; Zechariah 1:4-6
- ye bring more
- Leviticus 26:18,28; Numbers 32:14; Joshua 22:17,18
And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the sabbath day.
- began to be
- Leviticus 23:22
- I commanded
- 7:3; Exodus 31:14-17; Jeremiah 17:19-22
Then I testified against them, and said unto them, Why lodge ye about the wall? if ye do so again, I will lay hands on you. From that time forth came they no more on the sabbath.
- I testified
- about the wall
- Heb. before the wall. I will lay.
- Ezra 7:26; Romans 13:3,4; 1 Peter 2:14
And I commanded the Levites that they should cleanse themselves, and that they should come and keep the gates, to sanctify the sabbath day. Remember me, O my God, concerning this also, and spare me according to the greatness of thy mercy.
- I commanded
- 7:64,65; 12:30; 2 Kings 23:4; 1 Chronicles 15:12-14; 2 Chronicles 29:4,5,24,27,30; Isaiah 49:23
- Deuteronomy 5:12
- 14,31; 5:19; Psalms 132:1-5; Isaiah 38:3; 2 Corinthians 1:12; 2 Timothy 4:7,8
- spare me
- Psalms 25:6,7; 51:1; 130:3,4,7; 143:1,2
- or, multitude.
- Psalms 5:7; Isaiah 55:7
In those days also saw I Jews that had married wives of Ashdod, of Ammon, and of Moab:
- Heb. made to dwell with them.
- 10:30; Ezra 9:2,11,12; 10:10,44; 2 Corinthians 6:14
- 1 Samuel 5:1
And their children spake half in the speech of Ashdod, and could not speak in the Jews' language, but according to the language of each people.
- could not speak
- Heb. they discerned not to speak. each people. Heb. people and people.
- Zephaniah 3:9
And I contended with them, and cursed them, and smote certain of them, and plucked off their hair, and made them swear by God, saying, Ye shall not give your daughters unto their sons, nor take their daughters unto your sons, or for yourselves.
- I contended
- 11,17; Proverbs 28:4
- or, reviled.
- 5:13; Deuteronomy 27:14-26; Psalms 15:4; Luke 11:45,46
- Deuteronomy 25:2,3; Ezra 7:26
- Isaiah 50:6
- made them
- 10:29,30; Deuteronomy 6:13; 2 Chronicles 15:12-15; Ezra 10:5
- Ye shall not
- Exodus 34:16; Deuteronomy 7:3
Did not Solomon king of Israel sin by these things? yet among many nations was there no king like him, who was beloved of his God, and God made him king over all Israel: nevertheless even him did outlandish women cause to sin.
- Did not Solomon
- 1 Kings 11:1-8; Ecclesiastes 7:26
- yet among
- 2 Samuel 12:24,25; 1 Kings 3:13; 2 Chronicles 1:12; 9:22
- who was beloved
- 2 Samuel 12:24
Shall we then hearken unto you to do all this great evil, to transgress against our God in marrying strange wives?
- Shall we then
- 1 Samuel 30:24
- to transgress
- Ezra 10:2
And one of the sons of Joiada, the son of Eliashib the high priest, was son in law to Sanballat the Horonite: therefore I chased him from me.
- And one
- Josephus relates, that this young man was named Manasseh; and that at his request, Sanballat and the Samaritans built their temple upon mount Gerizim, in opposition to that at Jerusalem, at which he officiated, in some measure, according to the Mosaic ritual.
- son in law
- 4,5; 6:17-19
- I chased
- 25; Psalms 101:8; Proverbs 20:8,26; Romans 13:3,4
Remember them, O my God, because they have defiled the priesthood, and the covenant of the priesthood, and of the Levites.
- 6:14; Psalms 59:5-13; 2 Timothy 4:14
- because they have defiled
- Heb. for the defilings of.
- Leviticus 21:1-7
- the covenant
- Numbers 16:9,10; 25:12,13; 1 Samuel 2:30; Malachi 2:4-8,10-12
Thus cleansed I them from all strangers, and appointed the wards of the priests and the Levites, every one in his business;
- 12:1-26; 1 Chronicles 23:1-26
And for the wood offering, at times appointed, and for the firstfruits. Remember me, O my God, for good.
- the wood
- 14,22; Psalms 25:7; 26:8,9; 106:4; Luke 23:42