The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 13
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the children of Israel: of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, every one a ruler among them.
- Send thou
- 32:8; Deuteronomy 1:22-25; Joshua 2:1-24
- of every
- 1:4; 34:18
- a ruler
- 11:16; Exodus 18:25; Deuteronomy 1:15
And Moses by the commandment of the LORD sent them from the wilderness of Paran: all those men were heads of the children of Israel.
- 12:16; 32:8; Deuteronomy 1:19,23; 9:23
Of the tribe of Judah, Caleb the son of Jephunneh.
- 30; 14:6,24,30,38; 26:65; 27:15-23; 34:19; Deuteronomy 31:7-17; Joshua 14:6-15; Joshua 15:13-19; Luke 1:10-15; 1 Chronicles 4:15
Of the tribe of Ephraim, Oshea the son of Nun.
- 11:28; 27:18-22; Exodus 17:9-13; 24:13; 32:17; Deuteronomy 31:7,8,14,23; 34:9; Joshua 1:1-9,16; 24:1-33
These are the names of the men which Moses sent to spy out the land. And Moses called Oshea the son of Nun Jehoshua.
- Hosea 1:1; Romans 9:25
- 8; 14:6,30; Exodus 17:9; Matthew 1:21-23; Acts 7:45; Hebrews 4:8
And Moses sent them to spy out the land of Canaan, and said unto them, Get you up this way southward, and go up into the mountain:
- 21,22; Genesis 12:9; 13:1; Joshua 15:3; Judges 1:15
- the mountain
- 14:40; Genesis 14:10; Deuteronomy 1:44; Judges 1:9,19
And see the land, what it is; and the people that dwelleth therein, whether they be strong or weak, few or many;
- Exodus 3:8; Ezekiel 34:14
And what the land is, whether it be fat or lean, whether there be wood therein, or not. And be ye of good courage, and bring of the fruit of the land. Now the time was the time of the firstripe grapes.
- whether it be
- Nehemiah 9:25,35; Ezekiel 34:14
- good courage
- 30,31; Deuteronomy 31:6-8,23; Joshua 1:6,9; 2:3,22,23; 1 Chronicles 22:11; Hebrews 13:6
- the firstripe
- 23,24; Micah 7:1
So they went up, and searched the land from the wilderness of Zin unto Rehob, as men come to Hamath.
- from the wilderness of Zin
- The wilderness of Zin, is different from that called Sin. (Ex 16:1.) The latter was near Egypt, but the former was near Kadesh Barnea, not far from the borders of Canaan. It seems to be the valley mentioned by Burckhardt; which, under the names of El Ghor and El Araba, form a continuation of the valley of the Jordan, extending from the Dead sea to the eastern branch of the Red sea. The whole plain presents to the view an appearance of shifting sands, whose surface is broken by innumerable undulations and low hills. A few talk, tamarisk, and rethem trees grow among the sand hills; but the depth of sand precludes all vegetation of herbage.
- 20:1; 27:14; 33:36; 34:3,4; Deuteronomy 32:51; Joshua 15:1
- Rehob was a city, afterwards given to the tribe of Asher, situated near mount Lebanon, at the northern extremity of the Promised Land, on the road which leads to Hamath, and west of Laish or Dan: compare Jud 1:31; 18:28; Jos 19:28.
- 2 Samuel 8:9; Amos 6:2
And they ascended by the south, and came unto Hebron; where Ahiman, Sheshai, and Talmai, the children of Anak, were. (Now Hebron was built seven years before Zoan in Egypt.)
- Joshua 11:21,22; 15:13,14; Judges 1:10
- the children
- Genesis 13:18; 23:2; Joshua 14:13-15; 21:13; 2 Samuel 2:1,11
- Psalms 78:12,43; Isaiah 19:11; 30:4
And they came unto the brook of Eshcol, and cut down from thence a branch with one cluster of grapes, and they bare it between two upon a staff; and they brought of the pomegranates, and of the figs.
- or valley.
- 24; 32:9; Deuteronomy 1:24,25; Judges 16:4
The place was called the brook Eshcol, because of the cluster of grapes which the children of Israel cut down from thence.
- or valley.
- that is a cluster of grapes.
And they returned from searching of the land after forty days.
- forty days
- 14:33,34; Exodus 24:18; 34:28
And they went and came to Moses, and to Aaron, and to all the congregation of the children of Israel, unto the wilderness of Paran, to Kadesh; and brought back word unto them, and unto all the congregation, and shewed them the fruit of the land.
- unto the wilderness
- 20:1,16; 32:8; 33:36; Deuteronomy 1:19; Joshua 14:6
And they told him, and said, We came unto the land whither thou sentest us, and surely it floweth with milk and honey; and this is the fruit of it.
- 14:8; Exodus 3:8,17; 13:5; 33:3; Leviticus 20:24; Deuteronomy 1:25-33; 6:3; 11:9; Deuteronomy 26:9,11-15; 27:3; 31:20; Joshua 5:6; Jeremiah 11:5; 32:22; Ezekiel 20:6,15
Nevertheless the people be strong that dwell in the land, and the cities are walled, and very great: and moreover we saw the children of Anak there.
- Deuteronomy 1:28; 2:10,11,21; 3:5; 9:1,2
- saw the
- 22,23,33; Joshua 11:22; 15:14; Judges 1:20
The Amalekites dwell in the land of the south: and the Hittites, and the Jebusites, and the Amorites, dwell in the mountains: and the Canaanites dwell by the sea, and by the coast of Jordan.
- 14:43; 24:20; Genesis 14:7; Exodus 17:8-16; Judges 6:3; 1 Samuel 14:48; 15:3-9; 30:1; Psalms 83:7
- the Hittites
- Genesis 15:19-21; Exodus 3:8,17
And Caleb stilled the people before Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it.
- 14:6-9,24; Joshua 14:6-8; Psalms 27:1,2; 60:12; 118:10,11; Isaiah 41:10-16; Romans 8:31,37; Philippians 4:13; Hebrews 11:33
But the men that went up with him said, We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we.
- 32:9; Deuteronomy 1:28; Joshua 14:8; Hebrews 3:19
And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel, saying, The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people that we saw in it are men of a great stature.
- 14:36,37; Deuteronomy 1:28; Matthew 23:13
- a land
- 28; Ezekiel 36:13; Amos 2:9
- men of a great stature
- Heb. men of statures.
- 2 Samuel 21:20; *Heb:; 1 Chronicles 20:6; *marg:
And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.
- saw the giants
- 22; Deuteronomy 1:28; 2:10; 3:11; 9:2; 1 Samuel 17:4-7; 2 Samuel 21:20-22; 1 Chronicles 11:23
- and we were
- 1 Samuel 17:42; Isaiah 40:22