The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 28
Command the children of Israel, and say unto them, My offering, and my bread for my sacrifices made by fire, for a sweet savour unto me, shall ye observe to offer unto me in their due season.
- my bread
- Leviticus 3:11; 21:6,8; Malachi 1:7,12
- for a sweet savour unto me
- Heb. savour of my rest.
- 15:3,7,24; Genesis 8:21; Exodus 29:18; Leviticus 1:9,13,17; 3:11; Ezekiel 16:19; Ezekiel 20:41; *marg:; 2 Corinthians 2:15; Ephesians 5:2; Philippians 4:18
- in their due season
- The stated sacrifices and service of the tabernacle having, probably, been greatly interrupted for several years, and a new generation having arisen, who were children or minors when the law was given respecting these ordinances; and as they were now about to enter into the promised land, where they must be established and constantly observed; God commands Moses to repeat them to the people in the following order:--1. Daily: the morning and evening sacrifices; a lamb each time. (ver. 3, 4.) 2. Weekly: the sabbath offerings; two lambs of a year old. (ver. 9, 10.) 3. Monthly: at the beginning of each month, two young bullocks, one ram, and seven lambs of a year old, and a kid for a sin offering. (ver. 11-15.) 4. Annual: (1) the Passover to last seven days; the offerings, two young bullocks, one ram, seven lambs of a year old, and a he-goat. (ver. 16-25.) (2) The day of first-fruits: the sacrifices the same as on the beginning of the month. (ver. 26-31.)
- 9:2,3,7,13; Exodus 23:15; Psalms 81:3
And thou shalt say unto them, This is the offering made by fire which ye shall offer unto the LORD; two lambs of the first year without spot day by day, for a continual burnt offering.
- two lambs
- Exodus 29:38,39; Leviticus 6:9; Ezekiel 46:13-15; John 1:29; 1 Peter 1:19,20; Revelation 13:8
- day by day
- Heb. in a day.
- Daniel 8:13; 11:31; 12:11
The one lamb shalt thou offer in the morning, and the other lamb shalt thou offer at even;
- and the other
- 1 Kings 18:29,36; Ezra 9:4,5; Psalms 141:2; Daniel 9:21
- at even
- Heb. between the two evenings.
- 9:3; Exodus 12:6; *marg:
And a tenth part of an ephah of flour for a meat offering, mingled with the fourth part of an hin of beaten oil.
- 15:4,5; Exodus 16:36; 29:38-42; Leviticus 2:1
It is a continual burnt offering, which was ordained in mount Sinai for a sweet savour, a sacrifice made by fire unto the LORD.
- a continual
- Exodus 29:42; Leviticus 6:9; 2 Chronicles 2:4; 31:3; Ezra 3:4; Psalms 50:8; Ezekiel 46:14; Amos 5:25
- was ordained
- Exodus 24:18; 29:38-42; 31:18
And the drink offering thereof shall be the fourth part of an hin for the one lamb: in the holy place shalt thou cause the strong wine to be poured unto the LORD for a drink offering.
- in the holy
- Exodus 29:42
- to be poured
- 14,31; 15:5,7,10; Exodus 29:40; 30:9; Leviticus 23:13; Isaiah 57:6; Joel 1:9,13; Joel 2:14; Philippians 2:17; *Gr:
And on the sabbath day two lambs of the first year without spot, and two tenth deals of flour for a meat offering, mingled with oil, and the drink offering thereof:
- Exodus 20:8-11; Psalms 92:1-4; Isaiah 58:13; Ezekiel 20:12; Revelation 1:10
This is the burnt offering of every sabbath, beside the continual burnt offering, and his drink offering.
- the burnt
- Ezekiel 46:4,5
- the continual
- 23; 29:6,11,16,19,22,25,31,34,38,39
And in the beginnings of your months ye shall offer a burnt offering unto the LORD; two young bullocks, and one ram, seven lambs of the first year without spot;
- in the beginnings
- 10:10; 15:3-11; 1 Samuel 20:5; 2 Kings 4:23; 1 Chronicles 23:31; 2 Chronicles 2:4; Ezra 3:5; Nehemiah 10:33; Psalms 40:6,8; 81:3; Isaiah 1:13,14; 66:23; Ezekiel 45:17,18; 46:1,6; Hosea 2:11; Amos 3:5; Galatians 4:10; Colossians 2:6,16
- two young
- 19; Hebrews 10:10-14
And three tenth deals of flour for a meat offering, mingled with oil, for one bullock; and two tenth deals of flour for a meat offering, mingled with oil, for one ram;
- 15:4-12; 29:10; Ezekiel 46:5-7
And a several tenth deal of flour mingled with oil for a meat offering unto one lamb; for a burnt offering of a sweet savour, a sacrifice made by fire unto the LORD.
- for a burnt
And one kid of the goats for a sin offering unto the LORD shall be offered, beside the continual burnt offering, and his drink offering.
- one kid
- 22; 15:24; Leviticus 4:23; 16:15; Romans 8:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21
And in the fourteenth day of the first month is the passover of the LORD.
- 9:3-5; Exodus 12:2-11,18,43-49; Leviticus 23:5-8; Deuteronomy 16:1-8; Ezekiel 45:21-24; Matthew 26:2,17; Luke 22:7,8; Acts 12:3,4; 1 Corinthians 5:7,8
And in the fifteenth day of this month is the feast: seven days shall unleavened bread be eaten.
- Exodus 12:15-17; 13:6; Leviticus 23:6
In the first day shall be an holy convocation; ye shall do no manner of servile work therein:
- Exodus 12:16; Leviticus 23:7,8
But ye shall offer a sacrifice made by fire for a burnt offering unto the LORD; two young bullocks, and one ram, and seven lambs of the first year: they shall be unto you without blemish:
- two young
- Ezekiel 45:21-25
- they shall
- 31; 29:8; Leviticus 22:20; Deuteronomy 15:21; Malachi 1:13,14; 1 Peter 1:19
Ye shall offer these beside the burnt offering in the morning, which is for a continual burnt offering.
And on the seventh day ye shall have an holy convocation; ye shall do no servile work.
- on the seventh
- Exodus 12:16; 13:6; Leviticus 23:8
- ye shall do
- 18,26; 29:1,12,35; Leviticus 23:3,8,21,25,35,36
Also in the day of the firstfruits, when ye bring a new meat offering unto the LORD, after your weeks be out, ye shall have an holy convocation; ye shall do no servile work:
- in the day
- Exodus 23:16; 34:22; Leviticus 23:10,15-21; Deuteronomy 16:9-11; Acts 2:1-13; 1 Corinthians 15:20; James 1:18
But ye shall offer the burnt offering for a sweet savour unto the LORD; two young bullocks, one ram, seven lambs of the first year;
- two young
- 11,19; Leviticus 23:18,19; Bishop Patrick observes that no peace offerings are appointed in this chapter, which were chiefly for the benefit of the offerers, and therefore in them they were left more to themselves; but burnt offerings, which were purely for the honour of God, and confessions of his dominion, and which figured evangelical piety and devotion, by which the soul is wholly offered up to God, in the flames of holy love; and sin offerings, which were typical of Christ's sacrifice of himself, by which we and our services are perfected and sanctified.
And one kid of the goats, to make an atonement for you.
- 15,22; 15:24; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Galatians 3:13; 1 Peter 2:24; 3:18
Ye shall offer them beside the continual burnt offering, and his meat offering, (they shall be unto you without blemish) and their drink offerings.
- without blemish
- 19; Malachi 1:13,14