John Wesley's Explanatory Notes
on the Whole Bible
- The first fathers of the tribe of Levi, verse 1-3.
- The line of the priests from Aaron to the captivity, verse 4-15.
- Of some other families, verse 16-30.
- The work of the Levites, verse 31-48 Of the priests, verse
- 49-53. The cities of the priests and Levites, verse 54-81.
The priest's office - So did all the rest, but it is implied that he did it worthily, he filled his place, and valiantly discharged his office in Uzziah's time. Solomon built - In Solomon's temple; so called to distinguish it from the second temple which was built or in building when these books were written.
Ethan - Called also Jeduthun, chap. ; 2 Chronicles 35:15, and in the titles of divers psalms.
Castles - So called, not only because, walled and well guarded by the country; but because they and their possessions were in a particular manner the care of divine providence. As God was their portion, so God was their protector. And a cottage will be a castle to those that abide under the shadow of the Almighty. The lot - Or, the first lot.
Coasts - Or, of their borders, of their country contained within its borders.