John Wesley's Explanatory Notes
on the Whole Bible
- David's desire and esteem of God, verse 1-4.
- His satisfaction, and communion with God, verse 5, 6.
- His joyful dependence upon God, verse 7, 8.
- His holy triumph in him, verse 9-12.
- A psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah.
Early - Heb. in the morning, Which implies the doing it with diligence and speed. Thirsteth - For the enjoyment of thee in thy house and ordinances. Flesh - The desire of my soul, is so vehement, that my very body feels the effects of it. No water - In a land where I want the refreshing waters of the sanctuary.
To see - To enjoy. Power - The powerful and glorious effects of thy gracious presence.
Satisfied - When thou shalt fulfil my earnest desire of enjoying thee in the sanctuary.
Shall go - Into the grave.
Foxes - Their carcases shall become a prey to wild and ravenous creatures.
The king - I who am already anointed king. Every one - That sweareth by the name of God, in truth, and judgment, and righteousness. Every sincere servant and worshipper of God. Shall glory - Shall rejoice in my deliverance.