(di' bahn) or DIBON-GAD (di' bahn-gad) Place name possibly meaning, “pining away” or “fence of tubes.” 1. Capital city of Moab captured by Moses (Numbers 21:21-31). Gad and Reuben asked for it as their tribal territory (Numbers 32:3). Gad took control and fortified Dibon (Numbers 32:34). It thus became known as Dibon-gad and was one of Israel's camping spots east of the Jordan (Numbers 33:45-46). Joshua reported that Moses gave Dibon to the tribe of Reuben (Joshua 13:9,Joshua 13:17). In pronouncing judgment on Moab, Isaiah described the religious mourning at the worship place in Dibon (Isaiah 15:2), showing that Moab had gained control of Dibon by about 730 B.C. The Moabite stone of King Mesha, discovered in Dibon, shows that Moab controlled Dibon about 850 B.C. About 700 B.C. Jeremiah again announced destruction for Moab and Dibon (Jeremiah 48:18-22).
Dibon stood on the northern hill across the valley from modern Dhiban. It is about 40 miles south of Amman, Jordan, and three miles north of the Arnon River. Occupation of the site apparently goes back to about 2500 B.C., but the main occupation period began after 1200 B.C., climaxing about 850 with Mesha. Nebuchadnezzar destroyed the city in 582 B.C.
Nabateans built a temple there during Jesus' childhood. It was apparently abandoned about A.D. 100.
2. In Nehemiah's day (about 445 B.C.) Jews lived in a Dibon in Judah. This may be the same as Dimonah. See Dimonah.