CONTAIN, v.t. L., to hold. See Tenet, Tenure.
1. To hold, as a vessel; as, the vessel contains a gallon. Hence, to have capacity; to be able to hold; applied to an empty vessel.
2. To comprehend; to hold within specified limits.
Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain thee. 1 Kings 8.
3. To comprehend; to comprise. The history of Livy contains a hundred and forty books.
4. To hold within limits prescribed; to restrain; to withhold from trespass or disorder.
The Kings person contains the unruly people from evil occasions.
Fear not, my Lord, we can contain ourselves.
5. To include. This article is not contained in the account. This number does not contain the article specified.
6. To inclose; as, this cover or envelop contains a letter.
CONTAIN, v.i. To live in continence or chastity. Arbuthnot and Pope. 1 Corinthians 7.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software at http://www.swordsearcher.com.