1. Destitute of light; obscure. A dark atmosphere is one which prevents vision.
2. Wholly or partially black; having the quality opposite to white; as a dark color or substance.
3. Gloomy; disheartening; having unfavorable prospects; as a dark time in political affairs.
There is in every true woman's heart a spark of heavenly fire, which beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity. Irving.
4. Obscure; not easily understood or explained; as a dark passage in an author; a dark saying.
5. Mysterious; as, the ways of Providence are often dark to human reason.
6. Not enlightened with knowledge; destitute of learning and science; rude; ignorant; as a dark age.
7. Not vivid; partially black. Lev. xiii
9. Gloomy; not cheerful; as a dark temper.
10. Obscure; concealed; secret; not understood; as a dark design.
11. Unclean; foul.
12. Opake. But dark and opake are not synonymous. Chalk is opake, but not dark.
13. Keeping designs concealed.
The dark unrelenting Tiberius. Gibbon.
1. Darkness; obscurity; the absence of light. We say we can hear in the dark.
Shall the wonders be known in the dark? Ps. 1xxxviii.
2. Obscurity; secrecy; a state unknown; as, things done in the dark.
3. Obscurity; a state of ignorance; as, we are all in the dark.
1. To make dark; to deprive of light; as, close the shutters and darken the room.
2. To obscure; to cloud.
His confidence seldom darkened his foresight. Bacon.
3. To make black.
The locusts darkened the land. Ex. x.
4. To make dim; to deprive of vision.
Let their eyes be darkened. Rom xi.
5. To render gloomy; as, all joy is darkened. Is.24.
6. To deprive of intellectual vision; to render ignorant or stupid.
Their foolish heart was darkened. Rom. i.
Having the understanding darkened. Eph. iv.
7. To obscure; to perplex; to render less clear or intelligible.
Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? Job 38.
8. To render less white or clear; to tan; as, a burning sun darkens the complexion.
9. To sully; to make foul.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software at http://www.swordsearcher.com.