1. Extending or being far below the surface; descending far downward; profound ; opposed to shallow; as deep water; a deep pit or well.
2. Low in situation; being or descending far below the adjacent land; as a deep valley.
3. Entering far; piercing a great way. A tree in a good soil takes deep root. A spear struck deep into the flesh.
4. Far from the outer part; secreted.
A spider deep ambushed in her den.
5. Not superficial or obvious; hidden; secret.
He discovereth deep things out of darkness. Job xii.
6. Remote from comprehension.
O Lord, thy thoughts are very deep. Ps. Xcii.
7. Sagacious; penetrating; having the power to enter far into a subject; as a man of deep thought; a deep divine.
8. Artful; contriving; concealing artifice; insidious; designing; as a friend, deep, hollow treacherous.
9. Grave in sound; low; as the deep tones of an organ.
10. Very still; solemn; profound; as deep silence.
11. Thick; black; not to be penetrated by the sight.
Now deeper darkness brooded on the ground.
12. Still; sound; not easily broken or disturbed.
The Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam. Gen ii.
13. Depressed; sunk low, metaphorically; as deep poverty.
14. Dark; intense; strongly colored; as a deep brown; a deep crimson; a deep blue.
15. Unknown; unintelligible.
A people of deeper speech than thou canst perceive. Is. xxxiii.
16. Heart-felt; penetrating; affecting; as a deep sense of guilt.
17. Intricate; not easily understood or unraveled; as a deep plot or intrigue.
This word often qualifies a verb, like an adverb.
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.
1. The sea; the abyss of waters; the ocean.
He maketh the deep to boil like a pot. Job x1i.
2. A lake; a great collection of water.
Lanch out into the deep, and let down your nets. Luke v.
3. That which is profound, not easily fathomed, or incomprehensible.
Thy judgments are a great deep. Ps. xxxvi.
4. The most still or solemn part; the midst; as, in deep of night.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software at http://www.swordsearcher.com.