'ANSWER, v.t. ansur.
1. To speak in return to a call or question, or to a speech, declaration or argument of another person; as, "I have called and ye have not answered." "He answered the question or the argument." This may be in agreement and confirmation of what was said, or in opposition to it.
2. To be equivalent to; to be adequate to, or sufficient to accomplish the object. "Money answereth all things," noting, primarily, return.
3. To comply with, fulfill, pay or satisfy; as, he answered my order; to answer a debt.
4. To act in return, or opposition; as, the enemy answered our fire by a shower of grape shot.
5. To bear a due proportion to; to be equal or adequate; to suit; as, a weapon does not answer the size and strength of the man using it; the success does not answer our expectation.
6. To perform what was intended; to accomplish; as, the measure does not answer its end; it does not answer the purpose.
7. To be opposite to; to face; as, fire answers fire.
8. To write in reply; to reply to another writing, by way of explanation, refutation or justification; as, to answer a pamphlet.
9. To solve, as a proposition or problem in mathematics.
This word may be applied to a great variety of objects, expressing the idea of a return; as the notes, or sounds of birds, and other animals; an echo, &c.
1. To reply; to speak by way of return; as, there is none to answer. 1Kings 18.
2. To be accountable, liable or responsible; followed by to before the person, and for before the thing for which one is liable; as, the man must answer to his employer for the money entrusted to his care; we can not answer to God for our offenses.
3. To vindicate, or give a justificatory account of; followed by for; as, a man cannot answer for his friend.
4. To correspond with; to suit with; followed by to.
In water face answereth to face, so the heart of man to man. Prov. 27.
5. To act reciprocally, as the strings of an instrument to the hand.
6. To stand as opposite or correlative; as, allegiance in the subject answers to protection on the part of the prince or government.
7. To return, as sound reverberated; to echo.
The noise seems to fly away, and answer at a great distance.
8. To succeed; to effect the object intended; to have a good effect; as, gypsum answers as a manure on a dry soil.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software at http://www.swordsearcher.com.