CONCERN, v.t. L., to separate, sift, divide; to see. If this is the true origin, as I suppose, the primary sense is, to reach or extend to, or to look to, as we use regard.
1. To relate or belong to.
Preaching the kingdom of God and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ. Acts 28.
2. To relate or belong to, in an emphatical manner; to affect the interest of; to be of importance to.
Our wars with France have affected us in our most tender interests, and concerned us more than those with any other nation.
It much concerns us to secure the favor and protection of God.
3. To interest of affect the passions; to take an interest in; to engage by feeling or sentiment.
A good prince concerns himself in the happiness of his subjects. A kind parent concerns himself in the virtuous education of his children. They
They think themselves out of the reach of Providence, and no longer concerned to solicit his favor.
4. To disturb; to make uneasy. Little used.
5. To intermeddle.
We need not concern ourselves with the affairs of our neighbors.
1. That which relates or belongs to one; business; affair; a very general term, expressing whatever occupies the time and attention, or affects the interests of a person. Intermeddle not in the private concerns of a family. Religion is the main concern of a rational being. We have no concern in the private quarrels of our neighbors. The industrious and prudent occupy their time with their own concerns.
2. Interest; importance; moment; that which affects the welfare or happiness.
To live in peace, is a matter of no small concern to a nation.
Mysterious secrets of a high concern, and weighty truths, solid convincing sense, explained by unaffected eloquence.
3. Affection; regard; careful regard; solicitude; anziety.
Why all this concern for the poor things of this life?
O Marcia, let me hope thy kind concerns, and gentle wishes, follow me to battle.
An impenitent man feels no concern for his soul.
4. Persons connected in business; or their affairs in general; as a debt due to the whole concern; a loss affecting the whole concern. Mercantile Usage.