1. Any state, condition, or circumstance, favorable to success, prosperity, interest, or reputation.
The enemy had the advantage of elevated ground.
2. Benefit; gain; profit.
What advantage will it be to thee? Job 35.
There exists, in the economy and course of nature, an indissoluble union between virtue and happiness; between duty and advantage.
3. Means to an end; opportunity; convenience for obtaining benefit; as, student enjoy great advantages for improvement.
The General took advantage of his enemy's negligence.
4. Favorable state or circumstances; as, jewels set to advantage.
5. Superiority, or prevalence over; with of or over.
Lest Satan should get an advantage of us, (or over us.) 2Cor. 2.
6. Superiority, or that which gives it; as, the advantage of a good constitution.
7. Interest; increase; overplus.
And with advantage means to pay thy love. Obs.
8. Additional circumstance to give preponderation.
1. To benefit; as to yield profit or gain.
What is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away? Luke 9.
2. To promote; to advance the interest of.