1. Absence of light.
And darkness was on the face of the deep. Gen. i.
2. Obscurity; want of clearness or perspicuity; that quality or state which renders any thing difficult to be understood; as the darkness of counsels.
3. A state of being intellectually clouded; ignorance.
Men loved darkness rather than light. John iii.
4. A private place; secrecy; privacy.
What I tell in darkness, that speak ye in light. Matt. x.
5. Infernal gloom; hell; as utter darkness. Matt. xxii.
6. Great trouble and distress; calamities; perplexities.
A day of clouds and thick darkness. Joel ii. Is. viii.
7. Empire of Satan.
Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness. Col. i.
Land of darkness, the grave. Job x.