1. The act of delineating, or representing the figure of any thing by a plan, to be presented to the eye.
2. The figure or appearance of any thing delineated, or represented by visible lines, marks, colors, &c.; as the description of a country, or of Solomons temple.
3. The act of representing a thing by words or by signs, or the passage containing such representation; a representation of names, nature of properties, that gives to another a view of the thing. Homer abounds with beautiful and striking descriptions.
4. A definition. All definitions must be less perfect descriptions of a material thing, than a visible figure or delineation.
5. The qualities expressed in a representation; as, a man of this description. Hence,
6. The persons having the qualities expressed; a class of persons to whom a description is applicable, or who are in a similar condition.
The secretary proceeds to examine, whether a difference ought to be permitted to remain between them and another description of public creditors.
Persons of different descriptions.