1. Literally, pertaining to the head; as a capital bruise, in Milton, a bruise on the head.
2. Figuratively, as the head is the highest part of a man, chief; principal; first in importance; as a capital city or town; the capital articles of religion.
3. Punishable by loss of the head or of life; incurring the forfeiture of life; punishable with death; as, treason and murder are capital offenses or crimes.
4. Taking away life, as a capital punishment; or affecting life, as a capital trial.
5. Great, important, though perhaps not chief; as, a town possesses capital advantages for trade.
6. Large; of great size; as capital letters, which are of different form, and larger than common letters.
Capital stock, is the sum of money or stock which a merchant, banker or manufacturer employs in his business; either the original stock, or that stock augmented. Also, the sum of money or stock which each partner contributes to the joint fund or stock of the partnership; also, the common fund or stock of the company, whether incorporated or not.
A capital city or town is the metropolis or chief city of an empire, kingdom, state or province. The application of the epithet indicates the city to be the largest, or to be the seat of government, or both. In many instances, the capital, that is, the largest city, is not the seat of government.
CAPITAL, n. The uppermost part of a column, pillar or pilaster, serving as the head or crowning, and placed immediately over the shaft, and under the entablature.
By the customary omission of the noun, to which the adjective, capital, refers, it stand for,
1. The chief city or town in a kingdom or state; a metropolis.
2. A large letter or type, in printing.
3. A stock in trade, in manufactures, or in any business requiring the expenditure of money with a view to profit.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software at http://www.swordsearcher.com.
"Entry for 'Capital'". "King James Dictionary".