|Hook, Hooks |
Various kinds of hooks are noticed in the Bible, of which the following are the most important:
- Fishing hooks. (Job 41:2; Isaiah 19:8); Habb 1:15
- A ring, such as in our country is placed through the nose of a bull, and similarly used in the East for leading about lions -- (Ezekiel 19:4) where the Authorized Version has "with chains --camels and other animals. Called "thorn" in (Job 41:2) A similar method was adopted for leading prisoners. (2 Chronicles 33:11)
- The hooks of the pillars of the tabernacle. (Exodus 26:32,37; 27:10) ff.; Exod 38:13 ff.
- A vinedressers pruning-hook. (Isaiah 2:4; 18:5; Micah 4:3; Joel 3:10)
- A flesh-hook for getting up the joints of meat out of the boiling-pot. (Exodus 27:3; 1 Samuel 2:13,14)
- Probably "hooks" used for the purpose of hanging up animals to flay them. (Ezekiel 40:43)
These files are public domain.
Smith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Hook, Hooks'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary".