|AZARIAH - |
az-a-ri'-a `azaryahu and `azaryah, ("Yahweh has helped"):
(1) King of Judah. See UZZIAH.
(2) A Judahite of the house of Ethan the Wise (1 Chronicles 2:8).
(3) The son of Jehu, descended from an Egyptian through the daughter of Sheshan (1 Chronicles 2:38).
(4) A son of Ahimaaz and grandson of Zadok (1 Chronicles 6:9).
(5) A son of Zadok the high priest and an official of Solomon (1 Kings 4:2).
(6) A high priest and son of Johanan (1 Chronicles 6:10).
(7) A Levite, ancestor of Samuel, and Heman the singer (1 Chronicles 6:36).
(8) A son of Nathan and captain of Solomon's tax collectors (1 Kings 4:5).
(9) A prophet in the reign of King Asa; his father's name was Oded (2 Chronicles 15:1-8).
(10 and 11) Two sons of Jehoshaphat, king of Judah (2 Chronicles 21:2).
(12) King of Judah (2 Chronicles 22:6, called Ahaziah in 2 Chronicles 22:1).
(13) A son of Jeroham, who helped to overthrow Athaliah, and place Joash on the throne (2 Chronicles 23:1).
(14) A son of Johanan and a leading man of Ephraim, mentioned in connection with the emancipated captives taken by Pekah (2 Chronicles 28:12).
(15) A Levite of the family of Merari, who took part in cleansing the temple in the days of Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 29:12).
(16) A high priest who rebuked King Uzziah for arrogating to himself priestly functions (2 Chronicles 26:16-20).
(17) The father of Seraiah and son of Hilkiah (1 Chronicles 6:13f).
(18) A son of Hoshaiah, and a bitter enemy of Jeremiah (Jeremiah 43:2ff).
(19) One of the royal captives taken to Babylon, whose name was changed to Abed-nego (Daniel 1:7).
(20) The son of Maaseiah, who helped repair the walls of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 3:23f).
(21) A Levite who assisted Ezra to expound the Law (Nehemiah 8:7).
(22) A priest who sealed the covenant (Nehemiah 10:2).
(23) A prince of Judah mentioned in connection with the dedication of the walls of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 12:32f).
W. W. Davies