|OBED - |
o'-bed (`obhedh, "worshipper"; in the New Testament Iobed):
(1) Son of Boaz and Ru and grandfather of David (Ruth 4:17,21,22; 1 Chronicles 2:12; Matthew 1:5; Luke 3:32).
(2) Son of Ephlal and descendant of Sheshan, the Jerahmeelite, through his daughter who was married to Jarha, an Egyptian servant of her father's (1 Chronicles 2:37,38).
(3) One of David's mighty men (1 Chronicles 11:47).
(4) A Korahite doorkeeper, son of Shemaiah, and grandson of Obed-edom (1 Chronicles 26:7).
(5) Father of Azariah, one of the centurions who took part with Jehoiada in deposing Queen Athaliah and crowning Joash (2 Chronicles 23:1; compare 2 Kings 11:1-16).
David Francis Roberts