Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentRomans 11:32
- Hath shut up (sunekleisen).
- First aorist active indicative of sunkleiw, to shut together like a net (Luke 5:6). See Galatians 3:22 for this word with upo amartian (under sin). This is a resultant (effective) aorist because of the disbelief and disobedience of both Gentile (1:17-32) and Jew (2:1-3:20).
- All (touv pantav).
- "The all" (both Gentiles and Jews).
- That he might have mercy (ina--elehshi).
- Purpose with ina and aorist active subjunctive. No merit in anyone, but all of grace. "The all" again, who receive God's mercy, not that "all" men are saved.