The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 13
If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,
- a prophet
- That is, one pretending to the divine inspiration and authority of the prophetic office, or a dreamer of dreams, one who pretends that some deity has spoken to him in the night season, and giveth thee a sign, oth, what appears to be a miraculous proof of his mission, or a wonder, mopheth, some portentous sign, such as an eclipse, which he, who knew when it would happen, might predict to the people, who knew nothing of the matter, and thereby accredit his pretensions. But no pretended miracles must be admitted as a proof that the people might violate the first and great commandment.
- 1 Kings 13:18; Isaiah 9:15; Jeremiah 6:13; 23:11; Ezekiel 13:2,3,23; Zechariah 13:4; Matthew 7:15; 24:11; Luke 6:26; 2 Peter 2:1; 1 John 4:1
- a dreamer
- Jeremiah 23:25-28; 27:9; 29:8,24; *marg:; Zechariah 10:2
And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;
- 18:22; Exodus 7:22; 1 Kings 13:3; Jeremiah 28:9; Matthew 7:22,23; 24:24; 2 Corinthians 11:13-15; 2 Thessalonians 2:9-11; Revelation 13:13,14
Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
- Isaiah 8:20; Acts 17:11; Ephesians 4:14; 1 John 4:1
- 8:2; Psalms 66:10; 81:7; Matthew 24:24; 1 Corinthians 11:19; 2 Thessalonians 2:11; 1 John 2:19; 4:4; Revelation 13:14
- ye love the Lord your God
- 6:5; 2 Corinthians 8:8
Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.
- 6:13; 2 Kings 23:3; 2 Chronicles 34:31; Micah 6:8; Luke 1:6; Colossians 1:10; 1 Thessalonians 4:1,2
- and obey
- Jeremiah 7:23
- and cleave
- 10:20; 30:20; Romans 6:13; 1 Corinthians 6:17
And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.
- 18:20; 1 Kings 18:40; Isaiah 9:14,15; 28:17,18; Jeremiah 14:15; 28:15-17; Jeremiah 29:21,22; Zechariah 13:3; Revelation 19:20
- Heb. spoken revolt against the Lord. turn you.
- 10; 7:4; Jeremiah 50:6; Acts 13:8; 2 Timothy 4:4,5
- put the evil away from the midst
- 17:7; 19:19; 22:21,24; 24:7; 1 Corinthians 5:13; Hebrews 12:14,15
If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;
- thy brother
- 17:2,3; 28:54; Genesis 16:5; Proverbs 5:20; 18:24; Micah 7:5-7; Matthew 12:48-50; 2 Corinthians 5:16
- which is
- 1 Samuel 18:1,3; 20:17; 2 Samuel 1:26
- Job 31:27; Galatians 2:4; Ephesians 4:14; Colossians 2:4; 2 Peter 2:1; 1 John 2:26,27; Revelation 12:9; Revelation 13:14; 20:3
- which thou
- 32:16-18; Judges 2:13; 5:8; 10:6; 1 Kings 11:5-7; 2 Kings 17:30,31
Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:
- Exodus 20:3; Proverbs 1:10; Galatians 1:8,9; 1 John 5:21
- shall thine
- 7:16; 19:13; Ezekiel 5:11; 9:5,6
But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
- 17:2-7; Matthew 10:37; Luke 14:26
- thine hand
- 17:7; John 8:7; Acts 7:58
And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
- stone him
- 21:21; Leviticus 20:2,27; 24:14-16,23; Numbers 15:35,36; Joshua 7:25; 2 Chronicles 24:21; By this law, every Israelite was bound in conscience to inform against, to prosecute, and to assist at the execution of any one, even the nearest relation or friend, who attempted to persuade him to idolatry; yet it is observable that parents and husbands are not expressly mentioned in the list of those who were thus publicly accused.--Scott.
- which brought
- Exodus 20:2
- Heb. bondmen.
And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is among you.
- 17:13; 19:20; Proverbs 19:25; 21:11; 1 Timothy 5:20
If thou shalt hear say in one of thy cities, which the LORD thy God hath given thee to dwell there, saying,
- Joshua 22:11-34; Judges 20:1,2-17
Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known;
- the children
- or, naughty men.
- Judges 19:22; 20:13; 1 Samuel 2:12; 10:27; 25:17,25; 2 Samuel 16:7; 20:1; 23:6; 1 Kings 21:10,13; 2 Chronicles 13:7; John 8:44; 2 Corinthians 6:15; 1 John 3:10
- Belial is derived by some from beli, not, and âl, over, i.e., one so proud and envious as not to bear a superior; by others, from beli, not, and ol, a yoke, i.e., a lawless, ungovernable person, [andres paranomoi] "lawless men," as the LXX render. It is, however, more probably derived from beli, not, and yäâl, profit, i.e., a worthless person, good for nothing to himself or others, and capable of nothing but mischief.
- are gone
- 4:19; 2 Kings 17:21; 1 John 2:19; Jude 1:19
- Let us
Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you;
- 17:4; 10:18; Numbers 35:30; Isaiah 11:3,4; John 7:24; 1 Timothy 5:19
Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.
- destroying it utterly
- 2:34; 7:2,16; Exodus 22:20; 23:24; Leviticus 27:28; Joshua 6:17-21,24; Judges 20:48; Revelation 17:16; 18:18-24; 19:2,3
And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the LORD thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.
- burn with
- Joshua 6:24
- an heap
- Numbers 21:2,3; Joshua 6:26; 8:28; Isaiah 17:1; 25:2; Jeremiah 49:2; Micah 1:6
And there shall cleave nought of the cursed thing to thine hand: that the LORD may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and shew thee mercy, and have compassion upon thee, and multiply thee, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers;
- 7:26; Joshua 6:18; 7:1
- or, devoted.
- Leviticus 27:28,29; 1 Corinthians 16:22
- the Lord
- Joshua 6:26; 7:26; 22:20; Psalms 78:38
- and shew
- Exodus 20:6; Lamentations 3:32
- and multiply
- Ezekiel 37:26
- as he hath
- Genesis 22:16,17; 26:4,24; 28:14
When thou shalt hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep all his commandments which I command thee this day, to do that which is right in the eyes of the LORD thy God.
- to keep
- 12:25,28,32; Psalms 119:6; Matthew 6:33; 7:21,24