The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 30
And it shall come to pass, when all these things are come upon thee, the blessing and the curse, which I have set before thee, and thou shalt call them to mind among all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath driven thee,
- it shall come
- 4:30; Leviticus 26:40-46
- the blessing
- 15,19; 11:26-28; 27:1-28; 29:18-23; Leviticus 26:1-46
- thou shalt call
- 4:29; 1 Kings 8:47,48; Isaiah 46:8; Ezekiel 18:28; Luke 15:17
- Genesis 4:14; Jeremiah 8:3
And shalt return unto the LORD thy God, and shalt obey his voice according to all that I command thee this day, thou and thy children, with all thine heart, and with all thy soul;
- return unto
- 4:28-31; Nehemiah 1:9; Isaiah 55:6,7; Lamentations 3:32,40; Hosea 3:5; 6:1,2; 14:1-3; Joel 2:12,13; Zechariah 12:10; 2 Corinthians 3:16; 1 John 1:9
- with all thine heart
- 6:5; 13:3; 1 Chronicles 29:9,17; Psalms 41:12; 119:80; Jeremiah 3:10; 4:14; 29:13; Ephesians 6:24
That then the LORD thy God will turn thy captivity, and have compassion upon thee, and will return and gather thee from all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath scattered thee.
- then the
- Psalms 106:45-47; 126:1-4; Isaiah 56:8; Jeremiah 29:14; 31:10; Lamentations 3:22,32; Romans 11:23,26,31
- gather thee
- This seems to refer to a more extensive captivity than that which the Jews suffered in Babylon.
- Ezra 1:1-4; Psalms 147:2; Jeremiah 32:37-44; Ezekiel 34:12,13; 36:24; Zechariah 8:7,8
If any of thine be driven out unto the outmost parts of heaven, from thence will the LORD thy God gather thee, and from thence will he fetch thee:
- 28:64; Nehemiah 1:9; Isaiah 11:11-16; Ezekiel 39:25-29; Zephaniah 3:19,20
- thence will the
- As this promise refers to a return from a captivity among all nations, consequently it cannot be exclusively the Babylonish captivity which is intended; and the repossession of their land must be different from that which was consequent on their return from Babylon. Nor at that period could it be said that they were multiplied more than their fathers, or, as the Hebrew imports, made greater than their fathers, when after their return they were tributary to the Persians, and afterwards fell under the power of the Greeks, under whom they suffered much; nor have their hearts, as a nation, yet been circumcised.
And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.
- will circumcise
- 10:16; Jeremiah 4:4; 9:26; 32:39; Ezekiel 11:19,20; 36:26,27; John 3:3-7; Romans 2:28,29; 11:26; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Colossians 2:11
- to love the Lord
- 6:5; Exodus 20:6; Matthew 22:37; Romans 8:28; 1 Corinthians 8:3; James 1:12; 2:5; 1 John 4:7; 1 John 4:16-19; 5:3,4
And the LORD thy God will put all these curses upon thine enemies, and on them that hate thee, which persecuted thee.
- Numbers 24:14; Psalms 137:7-9; Isaiah 10:12; 14:1-27; Jeremiah 25:12-16,29; Jeremiah 50:33,34; 51:24-26,34-37; Lamentations 3:54-66; 4:21,22; Ezekiel 25:3,6,8; Ezekiel 25:12,15; Amos 1:3,6,9,11,13; Obadiah 1:10; Zechariah 12:3
And thou shalt return and obey the voice of the LORD, and do all his commandments which I command thee this day.
- 2; Proverbs 16:1; Isaiah 1:25,26; Jeremiah 31:33; 32:39,40; Ezekiel 11:19,20; 36:27; Ezekiel 37:24; Romans 11:26,27; Ephesians 2:16; Philippians 2:13
And the LORD thy God will make thee plenteous in every work of thine hand, in the fruit of thy body, and in the fruit of thy cattle, and in the fruit of thy land, for good: for the LORD will again rejoice over thee for good, as he rejoiced over thy fathers:
- make thee
- 28:4,11-14; Leviticus 26:4,6,9,10
- rejoice over thee
- 28:63; Isaiah 62:5; 65:19; Jeremiah 32:41; 33:9; Zephaniah 3:17; Luke 15:6-10,32; John 15:11
If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law, and if thou turn unto the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.
- hearken unto
- 2,8; Isaiah 55:2,3; 1 Corinthians 7:19
- turn into
- Nehemiah 1:9; Lamentations 3:40,41; Ezekiel 18:21; 33:11,14,19; Acts 3:19; 26:20
For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
- it is not hidden
- Or as the word niphlaith implies, not too wonderful for thee to comprehend or perform; but easily to be acquainted with, and understood, because clearly revealed: neither is it afar off; it was proclaimed in you ears from mount Sinai, and is now proclaimed in the sanctuary: it is not in heaven; for it has been already revealed: neither is it beyond the sea; that you need travel for instruction, as the ancient philosophers did, or seek instruction from men, at immense labour and expense; but the word is very nigh to thee; brought to thy very doors; in thy mouth, and in thy heart; made so familiar as to afford a topic of common discourse, that it might be laid up in the memory and reduced to practice.
- Psalms 147:19,20; Isaiah 45:19; Romans 16:25,26; Colossians 1:26,27
It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
- Proverbs 30:4; John 3:13; Romans 10:6,7
Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
- Who shall
- Acts 10:22,33; 16:9; Romans 10:14,15
- go over the sea
- Proverbs 2:1-5; 3:13-18; 8:11; 16:6; Matthew 12:42; John 6:27; Acts 8:27-40
But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.
- Ezekiel 2:5; 33:33; Luke 10:11,12; John 5:46; Acts 13:26,38-41; 28:23-28; Hebrews 2:1-3
- Jeremiah 12:2; Ezekiel 33:31; Matthew 7:21; Romans 10:8-10
See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil;
- 1,19; 11:26; 28:1-14; 32:47; Mark 16:16; John 3:16; Galatians 3:13,14; 5:6; 1 John 3:23; 5:11,12
In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.
- to love
- 6; Matthew 22:37,38; 1 Corinthians 7:19; 1 John 5:2,3
- to keep
- John 14:21
But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them;
- if thine
- 29:18-28; 1 Samuel 12:25; John 3:19-21
- 17:17; 1 Kings 11:2; Proverbs 1:32; 14:14; 2 Timothy 4:4; Hebrews 3:12; 12:25
I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it.
- 8:19,20; 31:29; Joshua 23:15,16; Isaiah 63:17,18
I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
- I call heaven
- 4:26; 31:28; 32:1; Isaiah 1:2; Jeremiah 2:12,13; 22:29,30; Micah 6:1,2; 1 Timothy 5:21
- that I have
- 15; 11:26
- choose life
- Joshua 24:15-22; Psalms 119:30,111,173; Proverbs 1:29; 8:36; Isaiah 56:4; Luke 10:42
- that both thou
- Jeremiah 32:39; Acts 2:39
That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.
- 6,16; 10:12; 11:22
- 4:4; 10:20; Joshua 23:8; Acts 11:23; Romans 12:9
- thy life
- Psalms 27:1; 30:5; 36:9; 66:9; John 11:25,26; 14:6; 17:3; Acts 17:25,28; Galatians 2:20; Colossians 3:3,4; Revelation 21:6; 22:1,17
- thou mayest
- 4:40; 5:16; 11:9; 12:10