The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 6
Then the LORD said unto Moses, Now shalt thou see what I will do to Pharaoh: for with a strong hand shall he let them go, and with a strong hand shall he drive them out of his land.
- Now shalt
- 14:13; Numbers 23:23; Deuteronomy 32:39; 2 Kings 7:2,19; 2 Chronicles 20:17; Psalms 12:5
- with a strong
- 3:19,20; Deuteronomy 4:34; Psalms 89:13; 136:12; Isaiah 63:12; Ezekiel 20:33,34
- drive them
- 11:1; 12:31,33,39
And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD:
- I am the Lord
- or, Jehovah.
- 6,8; 14:18; 17:1; 20:2; Genesis 15:7; Isaiah 42:8; 43:11,15; 44:6; Jeremiah 9:24; Malachi 3:6; Acts 17:24,25
And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.
- God Almighty
- El shadday, God Almighty; for shadday is evidently of affinity with the Arabic shadid, strong, mighty, and shiddat, strength, might; so the LXX. in Job render it [panto krator] Vulgate, in Pentateuch, Omnipotens, and Syriac, in Job, chasino.
- Genesis 17:1; 28:3; 35:11; 48:3
- but by my name
- If Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, did not know the name Jehovah, then Moses must have used it in Genesis by prolepsis, or anticipation. Mr. Locke and others read it interrogatively, for the negative particle, lo, not, has frequently this power in Hebrew: "I appeared unto Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, and by my name Jehovah was I not also made known unto them?"
- 3:14; Genesis 12:7,8; 13:18; 22:14; Psalms 68:4
- Psalms 83:18; Isaiah 42:8; 44:6; 52:5,6; John 8:58; Revelation 1:4
And I have also established my covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, wherein they were strangers.
- Genesis 6:18; 15:18; 17:7,8,13; 28:4; 2 Samuel 23:5; Isaiah 55:3
- the land of their
- Genesis 15:13; 17:8; 23:4; 26:3; Psalms 105:12; Acts 7:5
And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered my covenant.
- the groaning
- 2:24; 3:7; Psalms 106:44; Isaiah 63:9
- I have remembered
- 2:24; Genesis 8:1; 9:15; Psalms 105:8; 106:45; Luke 1:54,72
Wherefore say unto the children of Israel, I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rid you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgments:
- I am the Lord
- 2,8,29; Ezekiel 20:7-9
- I will bring
- 3:17; 7:4; Deuteronomy 26:8; Psalms 81:6; 136:11,12
- 15:13; Deuteronomy 4:23; 7:8; 15:15; 2 Kings 17:36; 1 Chronicles 17:21; Nehemiah 1:10; Isaiah 9:12,17,21
And I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a God: and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, which bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.
- will take
- 19:5,6; Genesis 17:7,8; Deuteronomy 4:20; 7:6; 14:2; 26:18; 2 Samuel 7:23,24; Jeremiah 31:33; Hosea 1:10; 1 Peter 2:10
- I will be
- 29:45,46; Deuteronomy 29:13; Zechariah 13:9; Matthew 22:32; Romans 8:31; Hebrews 11:16; Revelation 21:3,7
- from under
- 5:4,5; Psalms 81:6
And I will bring you in unto the land, concerning the which I did swear to give it to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob; and I will give it you for an heritage: I am the LORD.
- Heb. lift up my hand. The ancient mode of appealing to God was by lifting up the right hand, and was considered as a form of swearing. Hence yamin, in Hebrew the right hand, is in Arabic an oath, and as a verb, to take an oath. A similar custom prevailed among the heathens. See Virg. Æn. 1. xii. v. 196.
- Genesis 14:22; Deuteronomy 32:40; Ezekiel 20:5,6,15,23,28,42; 36:7; 47:14
- to give
- 32:13; Genesis 15:18; 22:16,17; 26:3; 28:13; 35:12
- I am
- 2; Numbers 23:19; 1 Samuel 15:29
And Moses spake so unto the children of Israel: but they hearkened not unto Moses for anguish of spirit, and for cruel bondage.
- 5:21; 14:12; Job 21:4; Proverbs 14:19
- Heb. shortness. or, straitness.
- Numbers 21:4
Go in, speak unto Pharaoh king of Egypt, that he let the children of Israel go out of his land.
- 29; 3:10; 5:1,23; 7:1
And Moses spake before the LORD, saying, Behold, the children of Israel have not hearkened unto me; how then shall Pharaoh hear me, who am of uncircumcised lips?
- 9; 3:13; 4:29-31; 5:19-21
- The italics shew that this word has been supplied by our translators; hence it may be inferred by some that Moses was uncircumcised. The difficulty is in some measure cleared away, by using the word uncircumcised in the sense of unsuitable or incapacitated, see ver. 30, which agrees with ch. 4:10 where Moses complains of want of eloquence; but by substituting is for am in this place, the connection with the former part of the verse is preserved; "For if the chosen seed, the circumcised sons of Jacob, refuse to hear me," as though Moses had said, "how can I expect to make uncircumcised Pharaoh pay attention to me?"
- 30; 4:10; Leviticus 26:41; Deuteronomy 30:6; Isaiah 6:5; Jeremiah 1:6; 6:10; 9:26; Acts 7:51
And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, and gave them a charge unto the children of Israel, and unto Pharaoh king of Egypt, to bring the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt.
- Numbers 27:19,23; Deuteronomy 31:14; Psalms 91:11; Matthew 4:6; 1 Timothy 1:18; 5:21; 6:13,17; 2 Timothy 2:4; 4:1
These be the heads of their fathers' houses: The sons of Reuben the firstborn of Israel; Hanoch, and Pallu, Hezron, and Carmi: these be the families of Reuben.
- the heads
- 25; Joshua 14:1; 19:51; 1 Chronicles 5:24; 7:2,7; 8:6
- The sons
- Genesis 46:9; 49:3,4; Numbers 26:5,6; 1 Chronicles 5:3
- these be
- Numbers 26:7; Joshua 13:15,23
And the sons of Simeon; Jemuel, and Jamin, and Ohad, and Jachin, and Zohar, and Shaul the son of a Canaanitish woman: these are the families of Simeon.
- Genesis 46:10; Numbers 26:12,13; 1 Chronicles 4:24
- Jarib. Zerah.
And these are the names of the sons of Levi according to their generations; Gershon, and Kohath, and Merari: and the years of the life of Levi were an hundred thirty and seven years.
- Genesis 46:11; Numbers 3:17; 1 Chronicles 6:1,16
- Numbers 26:57; 1 Chronicles 23:6
- an hundred
- 18,20; Genesis 35:28; 47:28; 50:26
The sons of Gershon; Libni, and Shimi, according to their families.
- Genesis 46:11; Numbers 3:18
- 1 Chronicles 6:17; 23:7
And the sons of Kohath; Amram, and Izhar, and Hebron, and Uzziel: and the years of the life of Kohath were an hundred thirty and three years.
- Numbers 3:19
- Numbers 26:57; 1 Chronicles 6:2,18
- and the years
And the sons of Merari; Mahali and Mushi: these are the families of Levi according to their generations.
- Numbers 3:20; 1 Chronicles 6:19; 23:21
And Amram took him Jochebed his father's sister to wife; and she bare him Aaron and Moses: and the years of the life of Amram were an hundred and thirty and seven years.
- 2:1,2; Numbers 26:59
- and the years
- The Samaritan, LXX., Syriac, and one Hebrew MS. add, "And Miriam their sister;" which some of the best critics suppose to have been originally in the text.
And the sons of Izhar; Korah, and Nepheg, and Zichri.
- 24; Numbers 16:1,32; 26:10,11; 1 Chronicles 6:37,38
And the sons of Uzziel; Mishael, and Elzaphan, and Zithri.
- Leviticus 10:4; Nehemiah 3:20
And Aaron took him Elisheba, daughter of Amminadab, sister of Naashon, to wife; and she bare him Nadab, and Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar.
- Luke 1:5
- Numbers 1:7; 2:3; Ruth 4:19,20; 1 Chronicles 2:10; Matthew 1:4
- 24:1,9; Leviticus 10:1,2; Numbers 3:2-4; 20:25; 26:60,61; 1 Chronicles 6:3; 24:1,2
And the sons of Korah; Assir, and Elkanah, and Abiasaph: these are the families of the Korhites.
- 21; Numbers 16:1,32; 26:9-11; 1 Chronicles 6:22,33,37,38; Psalms 84:1-12; Psalms 85:1; *titles
- 1 Samuel 1:1; 1 Chronicles 6:23,27,28
And Eleazar Aaron's son took him one of the daughters of Putiel to wife; and she bare him Phinehas: these are the heads of the fathers of the Levites according to their families.
- Numbers 25:7-13; 31:6; Joshua 22:13,31,32; 24:33; Judges 20:28; Psalms 106:30,31
- the heads
These are that Aaron and Moses, to whom the LORD said, Bring out the children of Israel from the land of Egypt according to their armies.
- That Aaron
- 13,20; Joshua 24:5; 1 Samuel 12:6,8; 1 Chronicles 6:3; Psalms 77:20; 99:6; Micah 6:4
- 7; 3:10,11; 20:2; 32:1,7,11; Acts 7:35,36
- 7:4; 12:17,51; 13:18; Genesis 2:1; Numbers 33:1
These are they which spake to Pharaoh king of Egypt, to bring out the children of Israel from Egypt: these are that Moses and Aaron.
- 5:1-3; 7:10
- to bring
- 13,26; 32:7; 33:1; Psalms 77:20; Micah 6:4
That the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, I am the LORD: speak thou unto Pharaoh king of Egypt all that I say unto thee.
- I am the
- 11; 7:2; Jeremiah 1:7,8,17-19; 23:28; 26:2; Ezekiel 2:6,7; 3:11,17; Matthew 28:20; Acts 20:27
And Moses said before the LORD, Behold, I am of uncircumcised lips, and how shall Pharaoh hearken unto me?
- 12; 4:10; 1 Corinthians 9:16,17