The Treasury of Scripture KnowledgeChapter 1
The word of the LORD that came unto Hosea, the son of Beeri, in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah, and in the days of Jeroboam the son of Joash, king of Israel.
- Jeremiah 1:2,4; Ezekiel 1:3; Joel 1:1; Jonah 1:1; Zechariah 1:1; John 10:35; 2 Peter 1:21
- Romans 9:25
- Isaiah 1:1; Micah 1:1
- 2 Kings 14:16-29; 15:1,2,32; 16:1-20; 18:1-37; 2 Chronicles 26:1-32
The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD.
- Mark 1:1
- 3:1; Isaiah 20:2,3; Jeremiah 13:1-11; Ezekiel 4:1-5
- a wife
- That is, says Apb. Newcome, a wife from among the Israelites, who were a people remarkable for spiritual fornication or idolatry.
- 2:4; 2 Peter 2:14; *marg:
- Exodus 34:15,16; Deuteronomy 31:16; 2 Chronicles 21:13; Psalms 73:27; 106:39; Jeremiah 2:13; Jeremiah 3:1-4,9; Ezekiel 6:9; 16:1-63; 23:1-49; Revelation 17:1,2,5
So he went and took Gomer the daughter of Diblaim; which conceived, and bare him a son.
- Isaiah 8:1-3
And the LORD said unto him, Call his name Jezreel; for yet a little while, and I will avenge the blood of Jezreel upon the house of Jehu, and will cause to cease the kingdom of the house of Israel.
- 6,9; Isaiah 7:14; 9:6; Matthew 1:21; Luke 1:13,31,63; John 1:42
- [Yizr@`e'l (l)(rzy)] God will disperse, as seed is when sown; probably intimating also the speedy dispersion of Israel by Shalmaneser.
- and I
- 2 Kings 9:24,25; 10:7,8,10,11,17,29-31; 15:10-12
- Heb. visit.
- 2:13; 9:17; Jeremiah 23:2
- will cause
- 2 Kings 15:29; 17:6-23; 18:9-12; 1 Chronicles 5:25,26; Jeremiah 3:8; Ezekiel 23:10,31
And it shall come to pass at that day, that I will break the bow of Israel in the valley of Jezreel.
- I will
- 2:18; Psalms 37:15; 46:9; Jeremiah 49:34,35; 51:56
- Joshua 17:16; Judges 6:33
And she conceived again, and bare a daughter. And God said unto him, Call her name Loruhamah: for I will no more have mercy upon the house of Israel; but I will utterly take them away.
- that is, Not having obtained mercy.
- 2:23; 1 Peter 2:10
- 2 Kings 17:6,23-41; Isaiah 27:11
- no more have
- Heb. not add any more to have. but I will utterly take them away. or, that I should altogether pardon them.
But I will have mercy upon the house of Judah, and will save them by the LORD their God, and will not save them by bow, nor by sword, nor by battle, by horses, nor by horsemen.
- I will
- 11:12; 2 Kings 19:35; Isaiah 36:1-37
- will save
- Isaiah 7:14; 12:2; 49:6; Jeremiah 23:5,6; Zechariah 2:6-11; 4:6; 9:9,10; Matthew 1:21-23; Titus 3:4-6
- by bow
- Psalms 33:16; 44:3-6
Then said God, Call his name Loammi: for ye are not my people, and I will not be your God.
- that is, Not my people.
- Jeremiah 15:1
Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.
- the number
- Genesis 13:16; 32:12; Isaiah 48:19; Romans 9:27,28; Hebrews 11:12
- and it
- See on
- Romans 9:25,26
- in the
- or, instead of that. it was said.
- 2:23; Isaiah 43:6; 49:17-22; 54:1-3; 60:4-22; 66:20; 1 Peter 2:9,10
- Ye are the sons
- John 1:12; Romans 8:14-17; 9:26; 2 Corinthians 6:18; Galatians 4:6,7; 1 John 3:1,2
Then shall the children of Judah and the children of Israel be gathered together, and appoint themselves one head, and they shall come up out of the land: for great shall be the day of Jezreel.
- Then shall
- This seems to refer to the future conversion and restoration of the Jews and Israelites, under on head, Jesus Christ; so that there shall be one flock and one shepherd.
- the children of Judah
- Isa:; Jeremiah 3:18,19; 23:5-8; 30:3; 31:1-9, 33; Jeremiah 50:4,5,19; Ezekiel 16:60-63; 34:23,24; 37:16-25; Micah 2:12,13; Zechariah 10:6-9; Romans 11:25,26
- An allusion to the word Jezreel. God who sowed them among the nations in His wrath, shall reap and gather them in His mercy: see ch.
- 2:22,23; Psalms 22:27-30; 110:3; Romans 11:15